Highlighted

VZW lied to me regarding ETF. What do I do?

dfword

Lies, lies, lies.

On Jan 1, I broke my contract with Sprint to sign up with Verizon. Got a new phone with a 4GB data plan. Paying Sprint $140 was worth it to have better data coverage. Unfortunately, I noticed that the reception inside my house was poor, much worse than with Sprint.

Here's what happened.

1/Jan 2: Phoned Verizon to report my poor reception inside my house, they opened a trouble ticket and said they'd contact me once they researched it.

2/I never heard from them but decided to try to live with it since the bulk of my calling would be done outside. I went to the VZW store and got a replacement SIM card but the signal in my house was still poor.

3/Jan 19: Noticed that call quality in house was worse so decided to call and follow-up. Why should I have to step outside to use my cell phone?

4/Jan 20: Called VZW tech support and they said that they had determined that my location was in a borderline (or a similar term) area, and they admitted that they should have contacted me. They said I could cancel my contract WITH NO ETF, which sounded too good to be true, but they documented my account as such. The reason was that they should have contacted re the trouble ticket sooner.

5/Jan 20: I called back and spoke with a supervisor and she said that yes, I could cancel without an ETF, but that I should try a wireless extender for $99.

I did not want this.

6/Jan 20: After hearing from TWO reps that I did not have to pay an ETF due to them not responding to my initial ticket in a timely manner, I ported my phone number and switched to AT&T.

7/Jan 23: Got a bill from Verizon for $360 and phoned them. This was the $350 ETF plus a small pro-rated amount. Rep put me on hold and said that a supervisor reversed the charge.

8/Feb 2: Wanted to delete Verizon from my Bank's bill pay, so called them to get the final amount I'd have to pay. Rep said it was $360, but there was a "pending credit" of the ETF, to be removed on Feb 20, my next billing cycle. Agent seemed unsure so I asked to speak with a supervisor.

Supervisor came on the line saying that:

a) The $350 ETF was NOT going to be reversed--the request was declined because I can get service outside of my home.

b) VZW attempted to contact me two times regarding this--they claim on the 23rd Jan and 01Feb.

None of the above were true. I was never contacted that the decision re the ETF was "reversed."

I looked at my phone records and there were NO calls from VZW on these days,

He said that I could come back to VZW, but I don't want to because of the poor signal in my home--AT&T is fine.

My decision to switch to AT&T was 100pct based on VZ's telling me THREE times that I would not have to pay an ETF.

I am appalled by their lying. I own a very large position in VZ stock and am really wondering if I should be holding stock in a company which engages in these practices.

I am going to fight this to the finish.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: VZW lied to me regarding ETF. What do I do?

Community Manager
Community Manager

dfword,

I'm saddened to hear you are no longer with us, and I definitely understand your concern about the early termination fee (ETF). The ETF applies when you enter in a 2-year contract and it's terminated prior the completion of it. Since your line was ported out before the 24-months were completed, it makes the ETF applies.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Not applicable

Verizon never guarantees inside coverage this is from their coverage map page

"These Coverage Locator maps depict predicted and approximate wireless coverage. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including customer’s equipment, terrain, proximity to or inside buildings, foliage, and weather that may impact service. Some of the Coverage Areas include networks run by other carriers, the coverage depicted is based on their information and public sources, and we cannot ensure its accuracy."

0 Likes

dfword

I get that they can't guarantee a signal inside a house and that's not my complaint.

My issue is that their own folks agreed to allow me to terminate my 3-week old contract without an ETF, documented my account multiple times, then some higher-up apparently denied this waiver without telling me.

On Jan 23, I called VZW customer service, was put on hold, and was told me the fee was removed-- why should I not trust this?

0 Likes

Not applicable

You have 14 days to cancel your contract without an ETF that is in your contract.

"If you do accept, you can cancel a line of Service within 14 days of accepting this Agreement without having to pay an early termination fee as long as you return, within the applicable return period, any equipment you purchased from us or one of our authorized agents at a discount in connection with your acceptance of this Agreement, but you'll still have to pay for your Service through that date. If you signed up for Prepaid Service, no refunds will be granted after 14 days or if your account has been activated. Your activation fee will not be refunded unless you cancel within three days of accepting."

It also states what a rep tells you is not binding.

This agreement and the documents it incorporates form the entire agreement between us. You can't rely on any other documents, or on what's said by any Sales or Customer Service Representatives, and you have no other rights regarding Service or this agreement.

0 Likes

dfword

Pretty sad that they have to include the second part as a CYA maneuver. So much for trust!

0 Likes

Tidbits
Sr. Leader

heard the term have it in writing?

No matter what industry or where you go... There will be some people who don't care about anything just a paycheck...

There are various reasons why it is the way it is...  Think about this for a minute...

If I worked for you and I told 100 people that you'd give them all $100,000 would you want to be held liable for that?  That's why it's that way, and every industry is this way. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

dfword,

I'm saddened to hear you are no longer with us, and I definitely understand your concern about the early termination fee (ETF). The ETF applies when you enter in a 2-year contract and it's terminated prior the completion of it. Since your line was ported out before the 24-months were completed, it makes the ETF applies.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes