Re: Using Network Extender - Why does data usage go toward my data cap?

Verizon Employee

Jav6joev, we will make sure to share the resolution to this issue publicly as well.  Thank you for your patience.

SeanC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jav6, Verizon takes protecting our valued customer’s personal and account information, very seriously. A Private Message was sent to MSTRSWRD06 as we’d need access to his account to thoroughly investigate his data usage. However, knowing how your account’s data is being used is very important. One very helpful tool to use in this regard is our Data Utilization option. Data Utilization is a free online tool that helps you better understand how your device is using data. It divides your data usage into general categories and it estimates your data usage in each category (e.g. Web & Apps, Social Media & Networking, Cloud/File Sharing, Gaming, Video, Communication & Device Services, Audio, Downloads & Marketplaces, Email & Messaging, Maps & Navigation, etc.). To view additional information about Data Utilization please visit our website at: http://vz.to/2whiQrN. You’ll find this website very useful too at: http://vz.to/2lXXRr4. I hope this information has been helpful. - RobertC_VZW  

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

Verizon Employee

Jav6joev, regarding the resolution post you had previously, anytime a customer is connected to a Network Extender/WiFi network, no data will be used.  The only exception is that some phones may have settings enabled that cause them to automatically switch off of WiFi/Network Extender and to use data. Outside of this the only other possible cause would be if the phone or WiFi/Network Extender were not connecting properly to each other for any reason (malfunctions, settings, etc.).  Please contact us if you have any other questions.  We are always here for you to help.

SeanC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

0 Likes

andrewrpoe

I was sent a network extender by Verizon. They insisted that it would help with our poor signal issues. It did help, however the first month that we had it, we exceeded 1TB of internet data usuage. As a result, we were charged $80 in data overage fees by the internet provider. This had never happened prior to plugging the Verizon network extender to our wifi router. There is the option to pay for unlimited internet data from the provider for an extra $50/month, but it's simply not worth it. We'll just return the extender to Verizon and continue dealing with the occasional dropped call. 

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

@andrewrpoe ,

It's great to hear that you had seen an improvement with a network extender, although I'm sorry to hear of your data overage with your ISP. The extender will use data to work, as it processes your voice calls over the internet to connect to cell towers farther away, but the exact amount used depends on how much you are on the phone itself. We also offer Wi-Fi Calling, which does not use an always-on extender to work, and it uses data at about 1MB/minute to operate. Have you tried using Wi-Fi Calling instead to see if there is a difference in your usage? Check out this link for more info on that free feature: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/#consume-data

RussellM_VZW

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

Why not use Wi-Fi calling.  I don’t see the need for extenders with Wi-Fi calling.