Using Network Extender - Why does data usage go toward my data cap?

MSTRSWRD06

Simple question. Why is it when I'm connected to my network extender, which interfaces with my home network to operate, I am considered to be using data that counts against my data limit? I am not using Verizon's towers when connected to my network extender, and it's a little ridiculous that I'm considered to be using data when I'm not even using Verizon's towers.

Reason I ask is because someone in my household has a tendency to disable WiFi on the device they are using without realizing it, while we are at home where the extender is, and suddenly I'm out of data and am charged for another 1GB. This has happened twice now. I realize there are steps to mitigate this and I'm not looking for a solution to that - just wondering why Verizon thinks my network extender usage merits being charged extra for data they are not serving/providing.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Using Network Extender - Why does data usage go toward my data cap?

jav6

What model network extender do you have?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes

MSTRSWRD06

I have the Samsung SCS-2U01.

0 Likes
Highlighted

jav6

You may not be using a local tower, but you are still using an internet gateway to the Verizon wireless network.

0 Likes

jav6

This old postWill a network extender use my data?  says/implies that using the 3G Network Extender does NOT use our cellular data allotments.  There may/must be something else using your data.

0 Likes

MSTRSWRD06

There are two devices on my account. One is the one in question and the

other is almost never used and is always on Wifi when it is used.

0 Likes

jav6

When you log into My Verizon and look at Usage, do both the devices show data usage?  Have you looked at which apps on your device(s) is(are) using data?  How are you determining that you appear to be using data when using the extender?  The extender is a 3G device and if someone's phone/device is 4G only then it may NOT be using the extender but an outside signal.

0 Likes

MSTRSWRD06

I work from home and my spouse stays at home as well. The devices rarely leave the area covered by the network extender, yet I'm showing metered usage (and overage) of data on my account when the devices are not using WiFi.

Additionally, the devices are 4G capable but are connecting to the extender at 3G speeds. There is almost no coverage from Verizon at my residence, hence the need for the extender.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

MSTRSWRD06, we always want your network extender working properly.  We have sent you a private message to get this completely resolved. 

SeanC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

jav6

@SeanC_VZW, since this is a public forum, if there is any resolution, can you share it publicly?

0 Likes