Highlighted

Use mifi 5510L with acuity weather station

I am looking at buying an acurite weather station which connect wirelessly to an aculink Internet bridge. The directions have the bridge connecting via ethernet to a router. I would like to connect the bridge to the mifi and avoid the router. Can I do this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Use mifi 5510L with acuity weather station

Not without a network bridge between the AIB and 5510L.

The only applicable unit I see is the Model: 900WES.

Option 1) AIB <Ethernet> Computer Windows 7/8 <USB Cable> 5510L

Option 2) AIB <Ethernet> TP-Link TL-MR3040 <Wi-Fi > 5510L

Option 3) AIB <Ethernet > Asus Router <USB Cable > 5510L

AIB = Acurite Internet Bridge (proprietary wireless to Ethernet device)

AWS = Acurite Weather Station

<Ethernet> = CAT5e Ethernet Cable

<USB Cable> = Standard A to Micro B USB Cable

<Wi-Fi> = Wi-Fi radio link between MR3040 and 5510L

Option 1 uses “Bridge Connections” with Windows XP, 7, or 8, to interface the computer’s Ethernet port to the USB port connected to the 5510L. This is a high maintenance configuration that requires the computer to be operating when the AWS is on the internet.

Option 2 is the most efficient, least troublesome configuration. It adds the $40 TP-Link model TL-MR3040. The AIB connects to the MR3040’s only LAN port and then bridges that connection to Wi-Fi on the 5510L.

Option 3 is the least cost effective solution, and like Option 1 is high maintenance in that a full time always-on 5510L will fail and require user intervention to make it continue to work. This allows the 5510L to connect via USB Cable to the router as well as an Ethernet cable to the AIB. Any modern Asus router with 3G/4G support will work ($100 to $300).    

The Windows 7 or 8 computer: Bridge Connections; Ethernet <> USB. The MR3040 is $40. Any modern Asus Router ($100-$300) with USB 3G/4G support works with the 5510L connecting together with the USB Cable that comes with the 5510L.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not without a network bridge between the AIB and 5510L.

The only applicable unit I see is the Model: 900WES.

Option 1) AIB <Ethernet> Computer Windows 7/8 <USB Cable> 5510L

Option 2) AIB <Ethernet> TP-Link TL-MR3040 <Wi-Fi > 5510L

Option 3) AIB <Ethernet > Asus Router <USB Cable > 5510L

AIB = Acurite Internet Bridge (proprietary wireless to Ethernet device)

AWS = Acurite Weather Station

<Ethernet> = CAT5e Ethernet Cable

<USB Cable> = Standard A to Micro B USB Cable

<Wi-Fi> = Wi-Fi radio link between MR3040 and 5510L

Option 1 uses “Bridge Connections” with Windows XP, 7, or 8, to interface the computer’s Ethernet port to the USB port connected to the 5510L. This is a high maintenance configuration that requires the computer to be operating when the AWS is on the internet.

Option 2 is the most efficient, least troublesome configuration. It adds the $40 TP-Link model TL-MR3040. The AIB connects to the MR3040’s only LAN port and then bridges that connection to Wi-Fi on the 5510L.

Option 3 is the least cost effective solution, and like Option 1 is high maintenance in that a full time always-on 5510L will fail and require user intervention to make it continue to work. This allows the 5510L to connect via USB Cable to the router as well as an Ethernet cable to the AIB. Any modern Asus router with 3G/4G support will work ($100 to $300).    

The Windows 7 or 8 computer: Bridge Connections; Ethernet <> USB. The MR3040 is $40. Any modern Asus Router ($100-$300) with USB 3G/4G support works with the 5510L connecting together with the USB Cable that comes with the 5510L.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for the detailed answer. Under option 2 am I connecting the 3040 via

USB to the 5510 or is it wireless? Is it easy to setup the bridge. Found

the 3040 for 26 bucks on amazon. Travel router correct?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Re: Use mifi 5510L with acuity weather station

http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/document/TL-MR3040_V1.0_User_Guide.pdf

No, the 3040’s USB Port does not work with the 5510L. It would be nice if it did, but it does not. IIRC, you set the 3040 to WISP mode (Wireless ISP) and it bridges using Wi-Fi to the 5510L. You have to login to the 3040 and manually configure it for the 5510L (I think it’s easy).  Yes, it is a travel router with a battery. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply and all the useful info. It helped quite a bit

Covid19