Upgrading to device payment plan from 2-year contract?

I was looking into upgrading my phone. I upgraded last year while still under the 2-year contract eligibility. From my understanding, I can go ahead and upgrade to the new device payment plan now, pay 15% down payment and get a new phone. However, I would still be paying a $40 line access fee from the 2-year contract plan instead of the $20 line access fee with the new device payment plan. Why do I have to pay the $40 instead of $20 when essentially I'm establishing a new agreement with the new plan? This makes me not want to upgrade since I'll be paying more for no reason when I will not technically be in a 2-year agreement.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Upgrading to device payment plan from 2-year contract?

Leader

That would mean that you had purchased your last phone on Sept 2, 2016.

I think 2 yr service contracts were not available after May of 2015. If I am correct.

Could you have possibly let someone on your account use your line to get a new phone under a payment plan?

Something doesn't seem right. Also, in the past, if you were on a 2 yr contract and upgraded early you would have to turn the original device in and it would release you of the contract. I would say to go to a store and talk to someone about that.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

You can't have a service contract and a device payment agreement on the same line at the same time.

You have the $40 line access fee because you are still under contract. It will only reduce to $20 when the contract term is completed.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

whitneyk1719 Getting a new phone is always an exciting time. I see Ann154 has provided you with good information. Normally, you must wait 2 years to upgrade when you have the 2-year contract. May I ask who made the offer to upgrade the line?

DeloresK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I log in to My Verizon and it has a red button on my line that says Upgrade Device/Replace Device. It tells me my contract end date is 9/02/2018. Since it is an early upgrade I would be required to pay 15% of the new phone to upgrade. What my question is that has not yet been answered is why would I still be paying $40 line access fee instead of the $20 line access fee when technically if I upgrade I will no longer be under the 2-year contract agreement, I will be under the device payment agreement. And yes I understand that if I am under the 2-year contract agreement, like I am currently, I am required to pay the $40. If I upgrade then I will be under the device payment agreement and therefore should be paying the $20 line access fee.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

I think you would still technically be under contract until 09/02/2018 if you took that promotion.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

I don't know what you are talking about.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

DUKE1318 wrote:

I don't know what you are talking about.

I was replying to whitneyk1719 and not you.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

whitneyk1719 wrote:

I log in to My Verizon and it has a red button on my line that says Upgrade Device/Replace Device. It tells me my contract end date is 9/02/2018. Since it is an early upgrade I would be required to pay 15% of the new phone to upgrade. What my question is that has not yet been answered is why would I still be paying $40 line access fee instead of the $20 line access fee when technically if I upgrade I will no longer be under the 2-year contract agreement, I will be under the device payment agreement.

The contract term runs 2 years. Purchasing a device on payments does not negate the discount on the device you purchased last year. The 2 yr contract will still be in effect for the full term.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

That would mean that you had purchased your last phone on Sept 2, 2016.

I think 2 yr service contracts were not available after May of 2015. If I am correct.

Could you have possibly let someone on your account use your line to get a new phone under a payment plan?

Something doesn't seem right. Also, in the past, if you were on a 2 yr contract and upgraded early you would have to turn the original device in and it would release you of the contract. I would say to go to a store and talk to someone about that.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Contracts were available for customers on grandfathered plans and business plans in 2016. More of those loopholes were closed in January 2017.

0 Likes
Covid19