Highlighted

Upgrade in September?

I have an iPhone 5 and will be eligible for an upgrade in September. Will I still be allowed to use my upgrade to get an iPhone 6+? My wife just upgraded to be iPhone 6+ a few months ago and it cost $300. Will it be the same for me or cost more?

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Upgrade in September?

Sr. Leader

We will know for certain after Thursday, but the bottom line is you will still be able to upgrade, and your net cost will be about the same.  It is all math

What's the difference between paying $300 up front with $40 upgrade fee and $20 extra per month for 24 months

OR

Paying zero up front, no upgrade fee, and dividing the full retail price of a $820 phone over 24 months in $34 monthly payments?  

It is the same, that is basically the change that is coming. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

What irritates me is that I signed up for the Edge plan in December. Now the line access fee is going down from $40 to $20 and I'm stuck paying $40 for another 16 months.  I get the $25 credit per month toward my monthly device fee.  If I go to the new plan I would only get $5/per month discount when the new billing plans take effect. The Edge plan is marketed with the discount for the device but at this point I'm overpaying for my line access. This change is not fair to existing customers!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

That is not the way it will work.  The $25 credit was always toward the access fee, not the device.

On your current plan, which you can keep, your monthly access fee is $15 ($40-$25). 

If you switch to the new plan, the access fee is $20, no additional discount possible.  It is likely cheaper to stay on your current plan, but calculate it out. 

The monthly cost of the same phone is equal between the 2 plans. 

The big difference is those on Edge or month to month with 6 GB or more of data will have access fee increase $5 per line, if you switch. 

Summary, you do not need to change. 

0 Likes