Re: Upgrade fee?

Sr. Leader

I simply copied and pasted what you DID say. If you meant something else, I am not a mind reader. I simply go on what you post which was "upgrades used to be free" when it appears you meant "there didn't used to be an upgrade fee". In that you are correct, unfortunately things don't always stay the same. If they did, we wouldn't even have cell phones(i.e. there didn't used to be cell phones, why do we have them now???). We would also be paying a LOT more for cell service than we do now. When I got my first cell phone, there were no unlimited plans(minutes OR data) and I paid ~$0.25 for each minute I used on the phone. The 1000+ minutes I use on my account each month would be much more than my $168 monthly bill for 4 smartphones and 10 GB of data. That doesn't even take into account texting.

Highlighted

It was renewing a contract so there was no reading and signing.  If they affordable discounts to people that are out of contract then why can't they offer discounts to people that are in contract..preferably in the form of a cheaper monthly bill!

If it's $15-$25 then why did they offer me $10?  Do you work for Verizon or are you just quoting random statistics you read online?

My opinion is that the $40 upgrade fee is ridiculous along with all the other previous comments.

<< Personal comments removed to comply with >>

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Blondieandlayne wrote:

If it's $15-$25 then why did they offer me $10?  Do you work for Verizon or are you just quoting random statistics you read online?

This discount is one you add to an out of contract line yourself, through your account in My Verizon.  I do not work for Verizon, however, I am intelligent enough to follow these forums, read and learn, ask questions, and research on my own.  By doing so, I have gained experience, experience for which you seek here today.  Our collective experiences has served to further enrich your understanding of how this whole system works.

Highlighted

Novice

If you didn't pay for the upgrade fee at the point of sale, you went to a third party/authorized retailer. They aren't a part of VZW and the charge goes directly to your bill. I only deal with the website or corporate stores when making a purchase. Changing providers may not be ideal, but if someone is unsatisfied and believe another company will value them more after they get them to switch, then they should go. Not saying you exactly, people in general. Instead, we fuss and whine, throw around the loyalty word like it's the golden ticket to whatever it is they want. I'd review your bills and see where the price increase is. It may not be the plan but the taxes. Mine are usually between $30-$40, give or take. Or maybe there are overages you're not aware of. The monthly bill credit is applied to any line with a smartphone that doesn't have a contract, so once your 2 year contract is up or if you purchase the phone at full price or on Edge, the discount applies. I'd also call and check on that as it is now $15 if you have 4gbs or less; $25 if you have 6gbs or more

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Blondieandlayne wrote:

It was renewing a contract so there was no reading and signing. 

There is no renewing a contract. It is a brand new contract.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Maybe we can help you save money, since you are not even aware of the standard $15 or $25 monthly savings on out of contract lines for More Everything. How many phones do you have, how many out of contract, what plan are you on, and about how much do you pay now for that.

0 Likes
Highlighted

These people on the forum must be Verizon employees.  Defending the $40 upgrade fee because we're not paying full price is ridiculous.  We are signing up to a 2 year contract!  And still paying some amount for the phone! Then get hit with $40.  This is so that when you're shopping for upgrade phones, the prices appear to be cheap.  I promise you that V doesn't pay full price for the phone either.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

jd.williams wrote:

Do Verizon customers really pay a $40 upgrade/loyalty/friend fee when upgrading a device?

Upgrade fee yes.  Loyalty fee no, friend fee, no.  I honestly don't even know what a loyalty or friend fee is.  Never heard of either.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Well you won't have to worry about the upgrade fee for much longer. Since two year contract pricing is being eliminated on August 13, 2015, one could logical deduct the upgrade fee is no longer needed. There isn't an upgrade fee for purchasing at full retail price there probably won't be an upgrade fee for the same type of purchase after the 13th.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

We pay Verizon a lot of money for our cell phones. I don't appreciate being nickled and dimed. Going to seriously start reviewing lower cost services.

0 Likes