Highlighted

Unlimited throttling?

geowar1

Back in February I switched my home internet ("Verizon LTE Internet Installed") to the "THE NEW VERIZON PLAN UNLIMITED". At that time I was told that after I used its 20 GByte data cap my data would be prioritized behind other traffic on my local cell tower… And for the last two months that appeared to be the case… after I hit the cap I'd experience slowdowns (≈3-5 Mbps) during peak data usages… but at other times I'd get pretty much full speed (20-30 Mbps). But this month (May) after I hit 10 (not 20!) GByte my internet speed dropped to 300 Kbps… period… all hours… 3 AM or 3 PM and everything in between…

So three questions:

#1: Why did my data cap drop from 20 Gbyte to 10 Gbyte?

#2: Why am I being throttled now instead of "prioritized behind other traffic?

#3: How can we fix this? (What are my options?)

This is NOT what I signed up for…

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Unlimited throttling?

Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your 15+ years of loyalty as our customer BOLSTE55 and would never want to see you leave. We apologize for any misinformation and want to be sure all of your concerns are addressed. On smartphones, data is prioritized after 22 GB of data has been used on a line and speeds will be reduced to 3G when 10 GB is used on your phone's mobile hotspot.  With Internet only devices (hotspots, jetpacks, etc.), data speeds are reduced to 3G after 10 GB of data has been used during the month. Also please keep in mind that the 10 GB used on your phone's mobile hotspot does count towards the 22 GB for your phone's usage. Although we are unable to change the cap of the plan before speeds are reduced, we do have plans available that will allow you to get high speed data at all times with a monthly data allowance. You can view all of our current plan options here http://vz.to/1W4d5aj .

RashadM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

Customer Service Rep

Your support is here for you!  We are here to address your concerns. We always want to set the proper expectation. Our data cap has been the same since the beginning. The difference was if the line was for data only. The first couple of months, some customers weren't impacted. The plan is working as designed now. I apologize for that. Please use this link for more details:https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/new-verizon-plan-unlimited-faqs/.

BobbyN_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

BOLSTE55

no that is not what we signed up for we were told the data would be prioritized not throttled back at all times. It was supposed to be based on network demand if this is not resolved by the end of June i will be taking my 15+ years of service somewhere else. You have already toyed with the company i work for to the point they are looking at taking their corporate account somewhere else and i am not afraid to follow them. Your customer service has been going downhill for a while now.

Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your 15+ years of loyalty as our customer BOLSTE55 and would never want to see you leave. We apologize for any misinformation and want to be sure all of your concerns are addressed. On smartphones, data is prioritized after 22 GB of data has been used on a line and speeds will be reduced to 3G when 10 GB is used on your phone's mobile hotspot.  With Internet only devices (hotspots, jetpacks, etc.), data speeds are reduced to 3G after 10 GB of data has been used during the month. Also please keep in mind that the 10 GB used on your phone's mobile hotspot does count towards the 22 GB for your phone's usage. Although we are unable to change the cap of the plan before speeds are reduced, we do have plans available that will allow you to get high speed data at all times with a monthly data allowance. You can view all of our current plan options here http://vz.to/1W4d5aj .

RashadM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

geowar1

Verizon Wireless Customer Support: According to the link you sent (Q&A #10): https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/new-verizon-plan-unlimited-faqs/

[BEGIN]

>What happens after I use 22 GB of data?

Most of the time you'll continue to enjoy the same great network experience once your line exceeds 22 GB during your billing cycle.

If you've already used 22 GB on a particular line during your current billing cycle, and are on a cell site that is congested at that moment, your download may be temporarily queued behind other Verizon Wireless customers, which may result in slightly slower download speeds relative to another Verizon Wireless customer's experience on the same cell site at that moment.

[END]

That reads "priority queued" to me… NOT throttling. The behavior I'm seeing is throttling… and it's not what I signed up for or experienced for the first two months. Can you say "Bye-bye Verizon"?

ROBAYE9

Same thing happened to me I changed the plan with online chat and never had any of this explained to me.I to Have been with this company for a lot of years. I have and old flip phone that goes off contract in a few days, Then I am gone I know there is a provider out there that will tell the truth upfront.

Customer Service Rep

I regret hearing you’re considering leaving after so many loyal years, ROBAYE9. It’s always important to have the correct expectations set from the beginning. I apologize for any misinformation that was provided. We’d like the opportunity to turn this around. Please respond to the private message I have sent you so that I can best assist.

JosephE_VZW

0 Likes

Mkovarikdba

I am furious for the last 2.5 month.  Verizon lied to me as well.  They sold me on leaving my 30G plan I had for $10 less than unlimited I have had foe years when they had a "double the data for same price" promotion.  They told me it was truly unlimited and gave no mention of throttling and trust and believe I asked every question about it.  Now I can barely look at anything and I am throttled 24/7.   I started testing it, I am in IT, and they are pure lies.  They have slowed me down to 1x speeds in day time and even at 4AM, any crazy hour- I get the same [removed] speeds.  They first tried to say it was my phone, my SIM card, etc then they tried to argue with me the third time I called that anything over 22 or 23G was decreased after telling me at 14G usage that it was "network congestion" making it impossible for me to do anything.  The data was so slow the second tier support was unable to reset my data connection from settings.  Then the next time u called, I was told it was after 15G I would be throttled.  I am furious.  I am tired of being lied too and furious that other people are experiencing the same things.  Now they have two new plans that promise exactly what I bought this time.  You are a selfish evil company that lies to it's customers and shamelessly takes advantage of people's lack of tech knowledge to exploit customers.  I see a class lawsuit coming your way and I hope to be part of it.  I should have known when you started collecting and selling our customer marketing data that you obviously have no business ethics or morals and won't protect the consumer until you are forced to.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

Jyk333
Novice

I think ill be leaving to, you had the best unlimited plan there is, and for me that changed as soon as you "gave" us 5 extra gigs of useless hotspot data, I only, and anybody else that has data only play is getting seriously [Removed], now instead of being what it was our speed goes down to 600kbs, that's not even usable, not really, there's also no way for me to switch between the speeds. If I don't want to burn up the little bit I can use, I need to be able to use the slow [Removed] while I'm asleep or at work for large downloads, I don't get it you're a big corporation, seems to me you'd understand that giving us customer, esp ones that pay you 1,000 a month for your services, what we want, and at an affordable price will make you more money in the long run,

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

LHH4531

I have the same sad story. I was convinced to switch from my monthly capped plan to an unlimited plan for $10 more a month in July. When my download speeds dropped to near nothing I was assured that there was no throttling nor other changes being imposed by Verizon and that the problem must be with my phone. After exhausting the usual list of updating, clearing cache, reloading the SIM card and on and on, I have finally realized that useless connectivity is the new normal for my "unlimited" plan. I will explore T Mobile and AT&T wireless with the hope that they haven't implemented a similar dial up experience for their unlimited customers. I currently can't get most of my apps to run on a first try without their stalling out.