Highlighted

Unlimited Data

Is it true that if you are on an unlimited data plan still and purchase a new phone at full retail that Verizon won't activate it unless you switch to a current plan that does not offer unlimited data?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Unlimited Data

Sr. Leader

NO.   If you have an unlimited plan, and use the upgrade on the line, then you lose your data plan.

if you buy at full price, or use the device payment plan you can keep the plan.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

NO.   If you have an unlimited plan, and use the upgrade on the line, then you lose your data plan.

if you buy at full price, or use the device payment plan you can keep the plan.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you! A Verizon told my friend they wouldn't activate her new phone she paid full retail for unless she got a current plan with limited data. Hopefully she can get her unlimited plan back.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

They don't make you change to a current plan when you do the Device Payment Plan? I thought any upgrade; be it 2 years or DPP was cause for folks who aren't on a current plan to get on one.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

With the old 12 month DPP, one could keep the unlimited data plan and pay for a phone over 12 months. Since the new DPP is the Edge payment option just rebranded, I suspect choosing that option forces customers to switch to the Share Everything Plan. The Edge payment program required to data plan to be a tiered data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

IF your friend bought a Verizon compatible phone, and paid full retail, either through Verizon or another retailer, they can keep the unlimited plan.

There seems to be a lack of understanding as to what "full retail" is for phones.  Often customers complain they paid full price and don't understand the loss of discount or unlimited plan, when they DID NOT pay full price, but paid the subsidized price, which is much less.

if your friend isn't sure, have them look at Verizon's website price and check the "no contract" price.  They have 14 days to return the phone if they made a mistake, even less if they lost unlimited data.

customers with unlimited data should activate their phones in Verizon Corporate stores To avoid problems.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Ann, I've heard it both ways, It would be nice to know for sure which is true.   I don't like passing on misinformation.  As we know, that happens often enough    And from those who should know what company policy is.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

What at phone and how much did she pay?   Is she on a payment plan?

0 Likes
Highlighted

I bought an iPhone 6 sim free from Apple store. Verizon activated for me without any question. You should be fine. If they give you any issue, go to different store. That's store's problem.

0 Likes