Highlighted

Re: Unlimited Data Returns to Verizon

Sr. Leader

hrp2007 wrote:

I currently pay $205 for 2 lines with 30 GBs of data and an employer discount. They said new total would be $202. I'm not sure if $3 off is worth the switch if the data is throttled.

Deprioritized is not the same as throttled.  Speed is only reduced if a line has exceeded 22 GB and the tower is busy.   And they is 22 GB per line.  You have 30 GB shared between 2 lines (15 GB each) before overage or severe throttling.  Hotspot 10 GB is also per line, not total. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

It will be interesting to see how ATT responds

0 Likes
Highlighted

Is that 22gb of data per device or per account? With multiple devices it definitely makes a difference how that breaks down.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Weth wrote:

hrp2007 wrote:

I currently pay $205 for 2 lines with 30 GBs of data and an employer discount. They said new total would be $202. I'm not sure if $3 off is worth the switch if the data is throttled.

Deprioritized is not the same as throttled. Speed is only reduced if a line has exceeded 22 GB and the tower is busy. And they is 22 GB per line. You have 30 GB shared between 2 lines (15 GB each) before overage or severe throttling. Hotspot 10 GB is also per line, not total.

Define a line.

If it really per phone line or will all lines on the account be de-prioritized? That is NOT very clear at all.

0 Likes
Highlighted

That is what I am wondering. I would be ok with this if my daughter uses her 22GB and she gets reduced but I still get to keep my speed until I hit the limit myself. If they reduce speed on all lines because of someone else on my account, I wouldn't like that.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

The 22 GB before deprioritization can kick in is per device (per phone, per tablet etc), not per shared among all on the account.

Also remember that deprioritization is not the same as throttling. With throttling, you will slow down, with deprioritization, you will only slow down if the tower you are on is busy.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

2qwik2katch wrote:

That is what I am wondering. I would be ok with this if my daughter uses her 22GB and she gets reduced but I still get to keep my speed until I hit the limit myself. If they reduce speed on all lines because of someone else on my account, I wouldn't like that.

If your daughter used 22 GB and you used 3 GB, only your daughter would be subject to deprioritization.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I currently pay about $130 per month for 20 GB of data - much of it used via mobile hotspot.  I can sign up for unlimited and pay $170 per month, but only get 10 GB of data at LTE speed.  Why would I pay $40 more per month to get less than half the service?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

$170?

not sure how you got that price.  How many lines?

You do understand you will get 22 gigs full speed data before reprioritisation, and 10 of that can be tethered?  You might want to look at how much data you use on each line for tethering.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I checked into changing plans - my current plan charges, including line access fees (but not taxes or device payments) is $133 per month.  If I changed to the unlimited plan, my per month costs went up to $170 per month.  This is direct from My Verizon sign up page - a direct apples to apples comparison of how my monthly bill would change.

And I'm quite clear on the difference between the 22 GB allowance for deprioritizing versus the 10 GB allowance for hotspot throttling.  Mobile data is my only means of internet connection so I'm quite clear on how it's used and where every darn bit is going.

I was really excited to hear about the return of unlimited plans until I realized that they aren't even remotely unlimited. 

0 Likes