Highlighted

Re: Unknown phone number added to group text

Ok this is not a security flaw this is design so everything syncs between all devices is a routing number given by the app creator only when sending group messages.  Nothing has been leaked or broken into.  So there is nothing to be alarmed about.

Highlighted

I recently received a message from a 588 area code as well and since I didn't recognize it I haven't opened it. However, the little bit of the message I can see reads "(one of my friend's phone number): messages are waiting". I text her in a new message to see if she sent me a text and she said she didn't recall sending me a text message. I'm using the original text app that came with the phone. I have a LG V20. I tried researching the number but all I can find it that the number is from Mexico and I too don't know anyone in Mexico. But it's very weird that it references one of my friend's phone numbers. It makes me wonder whether her phone was hacked.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

LLOU_410, your security and the security of your account is important to us. I use Message+ to communicate via text and I had the same issue you're having with one of my contacts. My friend scheduled a text message in error and I received it later. Check out the Verizon Messages (Message+) FAQs. http://vz.to/1m4FfTm Item 7 under Features of Verizon Messages (Message+) provides text message scheduling information. You can open the text message to see the content and verify if it came from your friend. If the text is not from your friend, please let us know and forward the text message to SPAM (7726).     

-JacobV_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

So I opened the message and it shows my friend's phone number, as I had stated previously, and then it says "messages are waiting for you. Download Message + to read these messages at. https://www.vzmessages.com/getclient" I know that she uses message + but I've never had an issue getting text messages from her before except one time when she sent me a few photos. It's still weird that it shows the sender to be a different phone number, the 588 area code number, rather then her phone number.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Thank you for the extra information, Linda. The link you provided is not an official Verizon Wireless website. To protect your information, it is recommended that you do not follow the link.  MatthewG_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Mine is doing it with the message + so thats not it.

0 Likes
Highlighted

My phone just did the same thing today. I was standing beside 2 of the people in the group and each one had it coming from a different 588 #. When they tapped on it it showed my number but for someone who is suspicious with #'s wouldnt have opened it up thus missimg my message

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

twlinney1, I certainly appreciate you getting back to us. Has the application gone through any updates in the last few days? Can you tell me what version you are currently running?

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I'm responding because THIS, a non-verizon employee or rep, has given a legitimate and reasonable response.

Thank you, Spyderjay!!

I hope in responding, this bumps this post to the top of the thread!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I just had that the same issue. Only sent the message to 2 other people and they were wondering who "I" was because it gave a 588 number

0 Likes