Re: Unknown phone number added to group text

SHEKRO63

All 3 phones had the unknown number show up. One was an iphone, 1 a Samsung, and I don’t know what the other was but do know it is not an iphone

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

I understand your concern Shekro63 as I would be as well. There is no way someone can get your number unless it was provided somehow or added to the group message. I do know that some 3rd party applications have to access your contacts. There are many ways for your number to be retrieved Some examples are:
*Signing up for Coupons
*Adding email and other info on certain websites
*Give aways
The best solution would be to block the number.
Does this clarify things for you?

AmberF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

Genealdo

I'm having the same problem and seems like Verizon doesn't have a clue........

Any resolution to this problem?

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Genealdo, we can understand how this can be a big concern. I want to make sure that we get to the bottom of this random number that is coming up in your group messages. I was able to test this out and found out where this random 588 number is coming from.

When a person that has Message+ on their phone and they create a New Group, and one of users does not have the message+ application it will generate this random 588 number. The way that the person is doing this is by following these steps:

1. Opening Messages+

2. Tap on the Compose Button in the bottom right (pencil icon)

3. Tap on Create New Group at the top of the page

4. They added the contacts that they want to text

5. People that don't have Message+ will get the original text from a random number to create the core group text (it's like a folder on a desktop, the documents inside the folder is the contacts in the group).

I would recommend trying to do a group message a little differently. I would suggest trying these steps instead:

1. Open Message+

2. Tap on the Compose Button in the bottom right (pencil icon).

3. In the To box add the contacts that you want to send a group text to.

4. Then you would be able to compose a text message, and even people that don't have Message+ will get the group text like normal.

I hope that this makes sense and clears the air as to where this random 588 number is coming from. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

SHEKRO63

Nope. Basically they think one of us added the phone number to the group or gave our number to a 3rd party which none of us did. And it was certainly a private number not a business that repeatedly tried calling my daughter and her boyfriend from 2 numbers to the point they had to block the numbers Scary.

0 Likes

lewisd

Seems Verizon doesn't give a darn that multiple customers have reported this breech for some time. All they do is blame the customers settings, their contacts list, that other people in the group added the number, blah, blah, blah. WRONG CANNED ANSWER!!!

I ran a reverse lookup with a paid for background check web site, and it's definitely from Mexico. It's also been reported as a scam caller/texter on numerous caller ID websites.

Until Verizon admits to the breach and does something about it, we are all targets.

0 Likes

bkbkbk

I just had the same thing happen to me.  I have created a GROUP of my work team and when I sent them an update this evening one of the group texted back asking ”who is this?  I dont recognize the number”.  She said the text showed up on her phone as coming from a Mexico number 558-936-8070.  I dont have anyone from Mexico in my contacts.  Verizon, PLEASE fix this!!!!  Im on a Samsung S7, android version 7.0, security patch level Oct 1, 2017,

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

SHEKRO63,

That definitely does sound scary. No worries, I'm here to help. Let's dive deeper into this. Is the Message+ app updated on all the phones in the group message? Have you tried to uninstall the app, reinstall it and test the group message again to verify if the mystery number appeared again?

JuanD_VZW

0 Likes

SHEKRO63

Yes they are up-to-date. We’ve only had it happen the one time and have been texting back and forth for almost a year. It hasn’t happened again and none of us know who this person is or know anyone that even lives in that area code. They came in on a text randomly after we had been texting each other for 10 mins. Then they tried calling and face timing both my daughter and her boyfriend from that number and another number. They had to block both numbers. We all deleted that text and we started another one. It is just very odd that there are so many people that this is happening to so it wasn’t just a fluke that one of us typed in some random number that we didn’t even know. This showed it was coming from Chicago. Although for all we know it could be coming from Mexico like everyone else has been saying.

My concern is if someone can break into a text what else are they able to get to on our phones.

Sherri

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

I can understand how this can be a concern to you, and we want to be sure you have the right answers. As discussed earlier, when a person that has Message+ on their phone creates a New Group, and one of users does not have the message+ application, it will generate this random 588 number. It is just assigning the number to the group message itself, to identify the message to the person who does not have Message+. Does this provide clarity?

RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes