Re: Unknown phone number added to group text

brendacl

The same thing happened to my daughter's phone.  She has an LG.  It was sent to her contacts with this strange number and said to tap on the avatar to add this group to your contacts.

scottfvt

I have seen no informative answer to this question from Verizon for 5 months. No one knows why the mystery number shows up in a group chat? Did I miss the real answer somewhere?

PooBell

I also just encountered this problem.  (Sept 18 2017).  One of the people in my group said the number appeared to be 588-937-9812.    I have a Samsung S8 and created a 3-person group.

Community Manager
Community Manager

PooBell,

We definitely want to make sure you are able to use your group texts with confidence and security. Does this only happen on Verizon Message +?

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

PooBell

when I look at the people who are having the same issue a https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/930551

it appears that most are using their phone to create the group and at least some are using the Messages+ app.    I do use that app on my Samsung S8 but in this particular case, I believe I actually created the group and sent the texts from my PC.  The PC is older and runs Windows 7 - so I did my texting from https://web.vma.vzw.com/vma/web2/Message.do?s=JsnSpfmoPsH90htVnot from your PC app which as best I can tell only works with Windows 10.

Thanks for your help.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I am happy to create a group in the same manner with a couple of your test lines if you would like to see if we can replicate the problem. 

Regards.

[removed]

Personal content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

CLACOX94

Dear VERIZON, please answer the question and quit asking questions that were already answered in the original question. My wife is having the same problem. She recieved a group text from her sister to her 4 sisters and an unknown number, (unknown means it isn't in any of their contacts list, which is what you asked in your response) appears to have originated the text. The number has a Mexican area code and it happened last night, so don't ask when it happened. So, why is this happening?

PooBell

Oh no! when I replied to your message it posted the entire thread to the group.  Anyway, my personal email address is now showing on the group messages.  Can you delete this please Smiley Happy as it will not give me an option to delete the message....Thanks much.

#yiv2061075709 img

PooBell

After spending about an hour chatting to 4 different verizon folks I did manage to open a formal ticket on this problem yesterday.  I was told it was being handled by "Tier 2" people.  If I get a response I will post back to this group.

bootyrooty1

So just realized a group chat I got also had 588 area code..... So after reading everyone's response... I think I solved it..... Seems to be a pattern.... Group text - 588 area code - generate text stating to click avatar.... Someone mentioned message+ app.... Not sure if anyone caught that one.... But it's probably created by an app that someone aka the initiator of the text is using to do a group chat..... So not sure who message + is created by however - has anyone actually asked there text initiator what app they are using and if it's not Verizon - they won't know bc its generated by an app not your phone or hacked... And if it is message+ or any other app... Then it makes sense and no worries.... So if anyone maybe has asked that person then we can share and close this thread as solved Smiley Happy

bootyrooty1

Yes it's an app.... For example -  Group me. Com.. It's a way to group text one number and everyone in that group gets it.. Done and done

0 Likes