Unknown phone number added to group text

KrisB50

I sent a group text to 8 family members last night, and an unknown phone number was added to the group:  [removed]  This number was visible only to those who received the text, not the sender.  Who is this? Is this a security breach?   Google says the area code is from Mexico...Please help, am concerned about the security of my Verizon phone (Samsung S6.)

Personal Information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

Labels (1)

Re: Unknown phone number added to group text

Community Manager
Community Manager

We are always here to help KrisB50. Account security is definitely important so I completely understand your concern.

When did you see the unknown number? Do you still have the original group text you sent? Is that number listed in your contacts?

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

TERWIN13

Well I have the same issue

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

@TERWIN13

I understand your concerns with seeing an unknown number listed in your group text message. Let’s see what’s going on.

What model phone do you have and which text messaging application are you using on your device? Did you originate the group text message? Please let me know so that I can further assist.

AnthonyTa_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

TERWIN13

The group text was originated on my daughters phone, which is on my plan.

Her phone is a Samsung J36V, and she uses the "message +" app that came on

the phone.

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 7:38 PM, vzw_customer_support <

Community Manager
Community Manager

TERWIN13, this is a mystery to us too. We're confident that your device has not been compromised on our network. Did you consult with the recipients in this group message to confirm if anyone added that phone number to the group message?

LasinaH_VZW

mwyandell

Verizon, I am curious as to what was the resolution to this issue.  I had the same thing happen to me last night and the number that was added was shown as the sender of the text and it was only on the recipients text, not mine as the sender.  The area code was 588, which is a Mexico area code, and it gave different 7-digit number to each recipient.  One of my recipients called the number and it was reject by her service (I guess no international plan...thank goodness).

Please let me know what I need to do.  Everything above from KrisB50 is the same for me including using the Message+ App.  I do have a Note 5 though, but still a Samsung.

Community Manager
Community Manager

mwyandell,

Group texts can be a great way to keep everyone in touch, but an unwelcome visitor can be a concern to everyone. Depending on what settings are on that group text, usually anyone can add another person, so this phantom phone could have arrived through any number of means. I would suggest either removing that number from the group, or starting a new one and keeping track if this number shows up again (that would help point to where it came from). If you feel something has happened with your phone or messages though, check out this link for more information: http://vz.to/1nwyOID

RussellM_VZW

GAYADA34

I have the same issue.  I added group via my Samsung and phone # 588-937-9419 was added.  I do not see the number but the people that received the text from me did receive that # and were asked to click on the avatar--I hadn't added an avatar.  How can this be resolved?

Community Manager
Community Manager

That definitely is a strange occurrence GAYADA34. I welcome the opportunity to assist. Since the number first appeared with a message coming from your device sent to a group, can you advise if you have any 3rd party apps that you use for voice or messaging services (i.e. Google Voice, Hangouts, Viber, What'sApp or something similar)?

EbonyR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!