Highlighted

Re: Unknown phone number added to group text

WYTCHYWMN

I'm having a variation of this problem.

A text just came through from the 588 number with a download on it, quickly followed by a text that looks like it came from Verizon, and referencing one of the numbers in a group I set up with my kids.

The 588 area code is in Mexico, and I don't know anyone in Mexico.

Something is VERY wrong.

0 Likes

WYTCHYWMN

The full number is [removed].

Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We want to help ease your concerns, WYTCHYWMN. Can you clarify the issue that you are having with messaging? As previously discussed, Message + will generate a random 588 number when in a group message with a user who does not use the Message + app. The message is not actually coming from a number in Mexico with a 588 area code. Are all the numbers in your group using the Message + app? What did the additional message that you received say?

LaurenC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

WYTCHYWMN

Unfortunately, I deleted the message thread.  I was something along the lines of "a message waiting for you" and a link that had Verizon's name in it.

One other thing that happened is I now cannot get into the group chat with my kids that this would be associated with.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

WYTCHYW, I am sorry to hear you deleted the text message. Have you tried restoring your text messages? To restore your messages, please open the Message + application and tap on the 3 Red stacked up lines that are located on the upper left-hand side of the screen. Now tap on Restore Messages. Are your kids able to add you to the group text message conversation you were having?

-JacobV_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

SHEKRO63

I have no idea what message + is

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Likes

tikibar1
Sr. Leader

SHEKRO63 wrote:

I have no idea what message + is

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Verizon Messages - Android Apps on Google Play

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We do want to make sure you are all set with you device and services. With regard to the Message + application let's make sure you are all set. To clarify, are you using the default messaging application or the standard application for text messages? To clarify, here's a link to review the application and what it is https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-messages-faqs/. Please verify if you are using this application or a different one for texts.

JasperM_VZW

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

SHERKRO63, we want to make sure that we clarify fully here. Verizon Messages (Message+) is a simple, free, downloadable app that is preloaded on Android, 4G LTE Basic Phone and downloadable on iOS devices. It provides an alternative to the default messaging application that comes on your device.

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

Nanster2014

Same thing happened to me when I started a group conversation using message+ on my HTC 10. 

Verizon, 6 pages of lame answers not actually helping anyone.  Shame on you.

I switched back to using the regular messaging app and am crossing my fingers.  That's likely as helpful as what Verizon has been doing on this issue.

0 Likes