Re: Unknown phone number added to group text

VWC1

I read through dozens of pages and Q and A from annoyed and perplexed customers affected by the mysterious (588 prefix) third party number that's sent to all recipients if you prepare a Group Text... only to find after nine months it still hasn't been resolved!

Each customer took the time to try and help VW figure out the problem. Each of them were then asked several inane and non-relevant questions by the VW Tech, as if the text app; type of phone, or service provider were pertinent to the problem on VW's end.

Then each customer got a quaint message grom the tech stating how grateful VW was for bringing the problem to their attention.. yet NEVER acknowledging VW had no clue how the problem originated, let alone HOW TO FIX IT!

If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was the year 1995 and I was trying to fix a buggy Windows issue! Thanks for NOTHING all you Verizon Wireless Programming and Technical troubleshooting "experts"... you've reset the bar for Service Provider Troubleshooting to a notch above[Removed]

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

MerriVic

BootyRooty1:

Message+ is a Verizon app. This messaging application can be used across all devices, and syncs.

I used it for awhile after the first of this year. Typically, I have either my phone or tablet with me, so it was a convenience. Until it wasn't.  My tablet is WiFi only (no cellular data). Messages that were sent to me almost always 99.9% synced. However, messages I sent from my phone never synced with my tablet. Honestly, I don't remember if outgoing texts from tablet synced to phone. Anyway, I would get SO confused! I was making myself frustrated, I'm sure my recipients were too. I uninstalled, and haven't regretted.

Highlighted

MerriVic

BootyRooty1:

I meant to add a link. My apologies. I copied it and now it won't let me paste. Grr. Anyway, go to Verizon wireless home. Search for Messages+. Lots of get started info, but this is NOT a third-party app, as another poster mentioned it might be.

Also, completely agree with other posters: this is a Verizon app and Verizon should be investigating and talking OPENLY about a potential security issue. Keeping us uninformed, or worse, complete ignoring the problem, ONLY reinforces negative feelings about Mega-Corporation really unconcerned about the people who keep them in business.

SHEKRO63

I had this happen to me on Friday, Oct. 27th. I was in a group text with my daughter and her boyfriend. Right in the middle of it a random number breaks in our group text wanting to know who we are.  Her boyfriend responded back "Who's this?" I thought at first maybe one of us hit a number by mistake. But that did not happen. It was a number from Chicago area code 773. None of us know who this number belongs to and none of us have the number in any of our phones. So it wasn't accidently added. I have a Samsung Galaxy 7, my daughter has an iPhone and boyfriend I believe has an android one. At this point I just deleted the message and started a new one. I wasn't too concerned about it until the person called my daughter's boyfriend from 2 different numbers. He didn't answer and he ended up having to block both numbers. The person then tried face timing with my daughter. She refused it. This is NOT OKAY! This should not happen and from the sounds of it, it is happening to a lot of people. I worry about them breaking into other messages that I have. My daughters boyfriend did a screen capture so we have a picture of the phone number. They both deleted the original message too. If someone could respond from Verizon on how this is being fixed I would appreciate it.

Community Manager
Community Manager

SHEKRO63, the security and privacy of your text messaging conversations are our first priority. This is a mystery to us as to how this could've happened. Are you using the text messaging feature on your device? Did you download a 3rd party messaging application to your phone? Does your daughter and her boyfriend also have Verizon Wireless service?

LasinaH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

RSUMM1337

I'm having the same issue with the 588 area code as well.  My girlfriend created a group chat through Verizon Messages+ that consisted of her phone (Z2 Force using Messages+), my phone (another Z2 Force using Messages+) and my work's iPhone (on AT&T, not using Messages+).  When the group text came to the iPhone, the number it came from showed as a 588 area code number (no numbers in the group had that area code).  The following screenshot shows how this came through (I blurred out the numbers):

https://i.imgur.com/neQ46j2.png

This 588 number does not show on wither phone using the Messages+ app, only the iPhone.  Any help in solving this and having the app create a normal group message would be great.

0 Likes

SHEKRO63

No we did not add a 3rd party messaging app on our phones. My daughter is on a shared family plan with me and we are using the normal texting feature on our phones. I’ve seen that others are having this same problem and that theirs are coming from Mexico.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We take security very seriously, Sherri. I know how important it is to have a secure phone and account. This is not a common issue that we have had so it is surprising that this has happened. With regard to your issue has your daughters boyfriend or daughter filled out anything online or registered online for a service of any kind? I only ask because there may have been information sent that could have caused this. The best option that we have would be to use our block services or the caller name id services we provide.

JasperM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

SHEKRO63

None of us have registered on line for anything. It was just weird and like I said I wouldn’t have thought too much of it because several years ago there was an emergency at my husbands work and they were trying to get a hold of him. But all of his calls were being routed to some random lady; who luckily was writing all the phone numbers down that were calling looking for him. Someone from his work had to drive into town to tell him that there was an emergency. He then called Verizon and told them what was happening. They did something on their end and then all of a sudden he started getting calls again. So I figured it was something similar. But when the people from the Chicago area kept calling my daughter and her boyfriend to the point where they had to block the number that’s when it became alarming.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

rsumm1337

We want the participants to all show up for you. Just to be sure, is it only the iPhone that is not using Message + that is not showing correctly?

JosephT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes