Highlighted

To all my fellow Military Members/Veterans be aware!! You may be getting cheated and lied to!!

tradeinbs

I have been a member of Verizon since 1994 and a Navy Veteran. In short, I have upgraded my phone with Verizon and have always spoken to a representative each time to activate and then review my current plans. Last upgrade was February of 2016 according to Verizon records, I had informed the rep that I was a veteran and wanted my military discount on my plan and was informed by such representative that my military discount was being applied! I had no reason to not believe the rep that told me that my military discount was being applied. Fast forward to 9-19-2019, I purchased a new phone, called to get it activated and wanted to upgrade my plan. When I mentioned the military discount...I was informed by current representative that I had to submit proof of military service and that this has been ongoing for at least 5+ years! I mentioned to the rep that I have no problem providing document(s) to receive discount and mentioned the last time I upgraded that the person that helped in 2016 did not inform me of this? And my new concern was, did I ever receive my military discount from 2016-2019?? I felt absolutely cheated and lied to by the Verizon rep that did my plan upgrade in 2016! I asked current Verizon rep for info on filing a complaint with corporate and the rep would not provide me with a corporate address and how to formally file a complaint and I was asked by rep, "what was I trying to accomplish?" I told the rep, "I don't want anyone else to be cheated or lied to! and if there is a way for me to be credited for my military discount I will pursue available avenues to do so!" More than 3 years I believed I was getting my discount and all this time ZERO discount!!! I would have gladly provided my military document(s) then in 2016 had I been informed that I was suppose to submit that online!!! $25 a month military discount February 2016- September 2019!! You do the math!!! I asked current rep about looking into my complaint and I feel like I got the big TOO BAD SO SAD! And go figure! No recording from 2016?? TOO BAD FOR ME apparently!! So my fellow military members and veterans, I would advise calling and checking so you're no cheated like me!! I am also going to follow up with a letter to corporate to investigate my claim and file my formal complaint with Verizon. I am also going to seek the advice of an attorney on what recourse/action I may be able to take. DO NOT GET LIED TO OR CHEATED!! I have a feeling Verizon is going to inform me that too bad you got cheated and overpaid on your bill....so be on the lookout! If corporate is anything like some of their representatives...it is all about the dollar and not providing for the military member(s) or their family proper services/discounts!!! I absolutely feel cheated by this company and I should have them investigate all the way back to 1994!! 

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED!!

Tags (2)
0 Likes

Re: To all my fellow Military Members/Veterans be aware!! You may be getting cheated and lied to!!

Weth
Sr. Leader

And in the 5 years you did not see a military discount on your bill that didn’t raise any suspicion? 

Trust but verify. You only trusted. 

Re: To all my fellow Military Members/Veterans be aware!! You may be getting cheated and lied to!!

tradeinbs

Are you even with Verizon? And if so...I will include this response in my formal written complaint to corporate! My military status only changes from active to inactive/veteran!! So why would I not trust a representative that said, "your military discount has been applied". Is that how you do business? You can lie to me and wait until I've overpaid and then blame me? The customer? And then ask me, why did I trust the Verizon representative? That I should've checked !! Maybe if you advertise that some of your reps will lie to get your business and that it's the customer(s) responsibility to figure out how to get said discounts, then I will do as such moving forward. Lesson learned!! 

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

@tradeinbs wrote:

I am also going to seek the advice of an attorney on what recourse/action I may be able to take. DO NOT GET LIED TO OR CHEATED!! I have a feeling Verizon is going to inform me that too bad you got cheated and overpaid on your bill....so be on the lookout! If corporate is anything like some of their representatives...it is all about the dollar and not providing for the military member(s) or their family proper services/discounts!!! I absolutely feel cheated by this company and I should have them investigate all the way back to 1994!! 

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED!!

When seeking the advice of a lawyer, make sure you don't have to pay them because they will not be able to get you any retroactive discount. The only possibility is to get future discounts and it normally takes 1-2 billing cycles before the discount will take effect. Make sure you keep an eye on your monthly bill once you submit your information. You can find where to submit your information at the following:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/military/

You can submit a complaint at the following, however it is unlikely you would get any past credit for discounts on your account:

Verizon Wireless
Correspondence
P.O. Box 408
Newark, NJ 07101-0408

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

@tradeinbs wrote:

Are you even with Verizon? And if so...I will include this response in my formal written complaint to corporate!     You are responding on a community forum. Not to Verizon chat.   

My military status only changes from active to inactive/veteran!!    When did your status change from military to veteran? It would not be unusual for it take to take some time, even years for them to notice that you are no longer active military and remove your active military discount. They do not automatically switch you to veteran it’s up to you to bring the appropriate documentation to do that.     It is also not unusual for discounts not to carry over if you changed your plan at some point in the past few years. 

So why would I not trust a representative that said, "your military discount has been applied".   And what reason do they have for lying to you? 

Is that how you do business? You can lie to me  —Hold on, one rep either messed up or lied, that doesn’t make this a business model Verizon approves.  You’re making a systemic accusation.   So next time a veteran commits suicide, I can generalize and say all are unstable?  No.  Unfair.  

and wait until I've overpaid and then blame me? The customer?  You ARE responsible to check your bill regularly for accuracy.   The fact you have not checked your bill for accuracy in years means that you have excepted the fact that it was accurate all this time each month when you paid the bill.  

And then ask me, why did I trust the Verizon representative? That I should've checked !!  Yes, mistakes DO happen.   It doesn’t matter whether this was deliberate, deceptive, or just a major screwup.   You have one account, Verizon has millions. They cannot possibly review each bill to make sure something that should be there is it. That’s your job, it’s your money. 

Maybe if you advertise that some of your reps will lie to get your business and that it's the customer(s) responsibility to figure out how to get said discounts, then I will do as such moving forward. Lesson learned!! 

How about they just advertise it’s run by fallible humans?  

I realize in the military if someone makes a mistake people die.   I also know that military drills personal responsibility into you.    You dropped your side.

Weth
Sr. Leader

@tradeinbs wrote:

Are you even with Verizon? And if so...I will include this response in my formal written complaint to corporate! 

I am a customer just like you with no connection to Verizon other than paying them every month for service.  

I am just relating what I do with every company I deal with and check every bill that comes in. Good sound advice.  

Mistakes  happen and I don't accuse people of lying for every mistake.  whem you pay your bill, you are also indicating you reviewed it and agree with it, unless you lodge a complaint.