The "Upgrade Fee" is enough to make me strongly consider another carrier

nos402

I understand that feedback like this is likely akin to screaming into a void and will make no difference whatsoever, and there doesn't seem to be any good lines to submit feedback (I don't want to sit on hold or call or chat with some poor customer service rep who can't do anything about Verizon policies and doesn't deserve to have to listen to complaints), but the fact that Verizon wants to charge me $40 every time I get a new phone (which I do annually through the Apple Upgrade Program) is ludicrous to me. It doesn't (to my knowledge) cost Verizon a cent for me to buy a phone through Apple, turn it on and activate it myself automatically. Charging me $40 a year (because again, I upgrade annually) is just greedy and gratuitous. I've only been with Verizon less than 2 months and my overall experience has not been good. Service has been fine, but I just keep getting hammered with fees. "Activation fee" my first month (which also seems like a completel money-grab...I would think you'd be happy to have new customers coming to you, not charging them to do so), an "Upgrade Fee" because I got a new phone, being told I'd get a $10/month discount for using "auto-pay" but not being told that I'd have to be enrolled for 30 days before it would apply, and also not being told that it would not apply unless I used a bank account or debit card. I couldn't send group texts or images, so I went into a store and the emplyee could not help me at all and told me to call Apple (even though all was fine before I switched to Verizon) and luckily I eventually solved the problem myself by (unfortunately, and painfully) having to "Reset All Settings."

I definitely feel like I'm lost in a giant corporation who just want as much of my money as they can get, and don't care about much else. Probably true of the other big carriers too, but man, this has been a nightmare that has eaten up way too much of my time and money trying to get this stuff ironed out. Thankfully, after some debate, a representative got my Upgrade Fee refunded, but I don't want to have to fight that fight every year when I get a new phone. I hope this ride smooths out in the future, but I will strongly consider changing carriers before my next phone upgrade next year.

Re: The "Upgrade Fee" is enough to make me strongly consider another carrier

Community Manager
Community Manager

Our goal is to have your upgrade experience run as smoothly as possible. We understand that having additional fees is never any fun but definitely worth it once you have the new phone in your hand. The Verizon wireless upgrade fee is a one-time charge when you upgrade your device (whether it is with one of our direct stores or indirect retailers). No matter what type of upgrade you choose, you also gain the benefits of Verizon 4G LTE network and express self-service option, including My Verizon, and My Verizon Mobile. The upgrade fee is applied for the operational cost changes associated with upgrading and activating devices.

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes

deloused

Why would you want to leave one carrier due to an upgrade fee to go to another provider that also has upgrade fees?

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

@nos402 wrote:

I understand that feedback like this is likely akin to screaming into a void and will make no difference whatsoever, and there doesn't seem to be any good lines to submit feedback (I don't want to sit on hold or call or chat with some poor customer service rep who can't do anything about Verizon policies and doesn't deserve to have to listen to complaints), but the fact that Verizon wants to charge me $40 every time I get a new phone (which I do annually through the Apple Upgrade Program) is ludicrous to me. It doesn't (to my knowledge) cost Verizon a cent for me to buy a phone through Apple, turn it on and activate it myself automatically.

I also upgrade iPhones thru Apple, not Verizon. I purchase the unlocked version which comes without a SIM card. I then take the SIM card from my old phone and insert it into my new phone. This way, there is NO upgrade fee. You only get an upgrade fee when purchasing thru Apple when you purchase the model which comes with a Verizon SIM card already installed. The unlocked version works just fine on Verizon.

glitchedpixel

All carriers have them. Either not have a phone or buy one directly from the manufacturer.

0 Likes

flutterfly8497

Of course you have to use a bank account or debit card for autopay. That's kind of the definition of autopay...you give them your information so they can take the payment automatically each month, thus guaranteeing your payment is made on time. If there's some other way to participate in autopay please enlighten me.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

@flutterfly8497 wrote:

Of course you have to use a bank account or debit card for autopay. That's kind of the definition of autopay...you give them your information so they can take the payment automatically each month, thus guaranteeing your payment is made on time. If there's some other way to participate in autopay please enlighten me.

You can use a credit card with autopay, you just wouldn't get a discount with the unlimited plan for using autopay. Bank account or debit card are not the ONLY way to use autopay.

0 Likes
Highlighted

flutterfly8497

Good point...I just lumped debit and credit together in my mind. Smiley Happy

0 Likes