Highlighted

The Dark Side of Edge

TL;DR:  Be Careful when you Edge up.  Has anyone else had a problem with the warehouse “not receiving” the returned the device?  How did it turn out?

When I heard about the Edge program it was perfect for me.  Early upgrades, just return the phone that I would have no use for anyway, kind of like leasing a car.  The Dark Side came when I actually tried to enjoy that benefit.

On 11/2/14, at an Apple Store I did an Edge upgrade (after having to explain to the store employees that this was even a thing).  This resulted in having to change my plan because however my current plan was listed in Verizon’s system it looked like I had to data package even though I did (upgraded from a Moto X).  Walked away ok with the whole thing.

On 11/4/14 called Verizon explained the plan change and the rep put me back on a plan that mimicked the pricing I had before (he didn’t inform me that it was a contract plan, but no big deal I have to keep the phone at least a year anyway before I can think about buying out the contract).  Also tell rep I had not received instructions on how to return the old device; told to just take it to a Verizon store.  Satisfied.

Then the ordeal begins.

Can't remember the exact date I went to the Verizon store 11/9 or 11/16 but rep wants NOTHING to do with me, will not take phone, says "since you upgraded at an Apple Store, I can't even touch your account".  Call Verizon after leaving store, was told a return pack would be sent.  I wait.............  Return package came, dropped off at the post office keep tracking number, sign up for text alerts, breath a sigh of relief when package is delivered.

Got my first bill after the Edge up and somehow had a data overage because of the prorated plan changes, didn't think that was fair, but I was the one who changed plans so I just kind of ate it.

December bill comes and it’s WAY higher than normal, not plan change proration higher than normal, but hundreds of dollars (249.96 to be exact) higher than normal.  I was charged for the old device!  Call Verizon, am told that this is a known error they will fix it; wait a couple weeks bill is coming due; call again and am told to pay what I owe and when the new bill is generated it will all be fine.  I wait, but I’m not happy.

January bill comes now I am “past due” despite paying the amount I actually owed (as instructed by the representative).  Call get a completely different story from the new rep who when asked very politely to inform me if there were any notes on my account decides without warning to transfer me to tech support.  The tech support guy is very nice, but says he has to create a ticket and he will personally call me back 48 hours later.  He even sent a text message with the date and time of the scheduled call.  I wait……………………..He never calls.  So I call explain the situation and am told I have to start from scratch.  I explain all of the above to a rep I can barely hear and she does a lot of typing and I spend a lot of time on hold while she talks to her supervisor.  Her response, I never returned the Moto X ( I provide her with the tracking number showing that the phone was delivered she checks it herself and confirms) apparently for whatever reason the warehouse never accepted the phone (this was NEVER mentioned on the three previous calls) and they were going to “look into it” and get my account credited.  Waited a week.

Now when I call Verizon I don’t even get the regular main menu, I only get a menu that says my account is past due and talks about paying your bill, making payment arrangements, or getting a copy of the bill (which I have).  Finally after pressing zero several times, being hung up on, then doing the whole thing again I got a rep when I explain that I still have this balance on my account she says the notes in my account say it may be until Feb 4 before something happens and somehow I have a feeling it won’t be.

Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: The Dark Side of Edge

Sr. Leader

I haven't seen a single positive post in these forums yet regarding Early Edge or Edge in general.  Everyone's primary and chief complaint seems to be based around the return of the old phone and it's delivery and acceptance.  I see many with a billing issue which is basically chalked up to being misinformed about the plan details, but by and large it's the old phone return and the system error and the wait a couple billing cycles thing.

Novice

Basically what happens is that the phone has to be returned in the channel the Edge Up was made at. Because all inventories are different if the purchase was made at the apple store then they are responsible for the return of the device, you have an equip charge because the warehouse that supplies customer service does not recognize the device and the warehouse that services the vendors is still awaiting the return

Highlighted

It all sounds like a big mess.  VZW is much to big of a company to have issues of such.  Most people don't have the extra $$$ to shell out while VZW takes its sweet time crediting someone for a phone that has been returned...especially when they can track it and know it arrived at a warehouse of their choosing.  Hopefully they have this figured out before I have the desire to EDGE up.  I enjoy the services and reliability that VZW provides which is why I choose to pay more for their service than that of their competitors...but this is just a mess.  And I echo Snn5, I haven't read one positive post about this process...

<< Profanity edited to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

Highlighted

Novice

I have not been a fan of the EDGE plan from day 1. It's a rip off, unless you keep the phone for the 2 years and pay it off. Then it's yours. If I switched from my More Everything Plan to Edge, it would cost me $40 more per month with 4 lines. I'll stay where I am.

Highlighted

Then this is all the result of poor training.  The Apple Store barely knew that there was such a thing as EDGE and definitely didn't know about EDGE upgrades.  Nothing was mentioned in the store about the old device.  I would have handed it over immediately if they'd asked for it.  It would have been nice if a Verizon Rep knew this and was able to explain it the way you did..  Your response makes the most sense of anything I've heard about this issue. And if what you're saying is true, they're probably looking in the wrong warehouse for the old phone.  The thing is the label they sent me specifically stated EDGE return and my name account number etc.  You would think even if the warehouse is not central, their computers would at least be linked so that when the label was scanned in the customer account was updated. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

TL;DR Feb 4 came and went, issue still not fixed to Feb 9 and beyond?  I must say that the with the exception of the rep that unceremoniously transferred me rather than try to help with the issue, EVERYONE has been EXTREMELY understanding about this process

Update:  Feb 4 came and went and of course the charge was not reversed.  Waited until the 5th to call and could only get through to the payment dept (since I "owe them money").  The rep starts the conversation with "I'm showing a past due balance, how are you planning to resolve that today".  Informed her of the ongoing issue and was informed that my account was noted and that it would be reviewed on the 9th (would have been nice if she'd looked at that first before asking me for money). I actually blubbered and found myself, a middle aged man, near tears at this point, which prompted the payment rep to transfer me to customer care. The gentleman I spoke to at customer care listened to me unload (I'm beyond frustrated at this point, but some of my best friends work in call centers so I've become much more aware of what they deal with and try to explain my frustration in the most polite manner possible) and then reviewed the issues and assures me that it will be resolved on the 9th and despite my better judgement, I trust him (I have to commend VZW on their hiring and/or training practices, the reps do a great job of deescalation).   Fingers crossed. 

Highlighted

Edge is not a plan. It wasn't ever, isn't now and never will be. The sooner every accepts this fact the sooner they will see the value. And anyone with little math skills can see with 6GB or more now you come out ahead in the long run.

Now for the OP. I personally would never buy anything Edge or not from a 3rd party retailer such as the Apple store, and this is why. They screwed up and now you get to foot the bill until them and/or Verizon get it figured out. Had you bought at a Verizon store the phone is handed over on the spot and you get a receipt for turning it in, no way to screw that up this bad.

Highlighted

I disagree that buying at a Verizon store is always the way to go.  Maybe in this case it would have helped, but I've had Verizon store employees mess up my account too.  The deep issue is training Verizon's policies do not seem to be consistently communicated to employees or third-parties.  It really just depends on who you talk to.  You can call or visit 5 people and get 5 different answers.

But kudos to you for being so smart.

Highlighted

I too am being charged for the 5c I mailed in the same day I edged up to the 6. I was in the Apple Store WITH a Verizon rep to make sure I edged up accurately & got my packaging for the old device. I stopped in the store yesterday for the 3rd time & near 10 calls complaining about this charge & was told it's still being worked on. The manager said they keep denying the refund form...why I don't know! He also stated he would call me today...he never called. I'm convinced this is a scam because a charge that is Verizon's fault, should not be this hard to get wiped off an account!!!

0 Likes