Switching to Verizon edge

Aleksnamy

I currently am on a 2 year contract,  and want to switch to Verizon edge but my contract isn't due for an upgrade until September 2016,  I spoke to 2 different reps one from a store and one from 1800 number.  I received two different answers, one answer was no,  "it wouldn't benefit Verizon to allow you to switch to Verizon edge when you are on a contract", what a lovely answer when I am paying 160$ a month, all about corporation benefiting from the paid customer.  But a rep from a store told me that if a rep from 1800 customer service allows you to switch,  you would have to turn your current phone in and there should be no damage to it.  So I am stuck,  who can I speak with to actually find out if I can switch to Verizon edge,  we have been on Verizon for about 9 to 10 years.  Thank you for your help

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Switching to Verizon edge

Not applicable

Edge is device payment plan so to be on Edge you must be actually wanting to buy a new phone. Assuming that is what you are wanting to do that then yes you can end your contract early and upgrade via Edge.... however

You have to be 1 year or less from the end of your contract. You still have 3 months before that occurs.

You must have made the previous 6 months bill payments in full and on time.

It does require you turning in your current device and it must be in good condition. If it's deemed not to be in good condition you will get charged $300.

So you won't qualify until September and by then who knows if the early Edge option will even exist. Edge existed in Sept 2014 when you singed your 2 year contract why didn't you go that route then?

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Not applicable

Edge is device payment plan so to be on Edge you must be actually wanting to buy a new phone. Assuming that is what you are wanting to do that then yes you can end your contract early and upgrade via Edge.... however

You have to be 1 year or less from the end of your contract. You still have 3 months before that occurs.

You must have made the previous 6 months bill payments in full and on time.

It does require you turning in your current device and it must be in good condition. If it's deemed not to be in good condition you will get charged $300.

So you won't qualify until September and by then who knows if the early Edge option will even exist. Edge existed in Sept 2014 when you singed your 2 year contract why didn't you go that route then?

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Aleksnamy

I didn't know what was better at the time edge or a contract,  but now they are offering 80 dollar plan plus 15 for each line...  I guess I will look into to it around September.  We both have galaxy 5, was interested in the 6 edge...  The battery life is terrible on the 5 now but I can order a 2nd battery...  Thank you for the information, very helpful.

0 Likes

Not applicable

Edge is ALWAYS better than a contract if you have a 6 GB or more plan. The 6 Edge would be $29.16 a month on Edge payment plan. So if you got the $80 data plan( 10 GB ) two $15 lines fees $30, and two Edge plan payments for the Galaxy S6 edge $58.32. So that's $168.32 plus taxes/fees. So maybe $175-$180. You knock $10 off that if you only need 6 GB. You can also put down a downpayment to lower your monthly Edge payment. Of course I didn't take into account any work discount you may get. You didn't state if you did have one or not.

Aleksnamy

I would get 10% from employer discount but the account is in my fiancée name and when I tried to switch the account to my name they told me I needed to pay 400$ for each phone line for security deposit. Unreal haha... Im listed on the account but not account holder.

0 Likes

I Am in a 2 year contract as well, my 2 lines end in octoner and December of this year. I have talked with customer service in the past about switching to edge and they said I was eligable because I want to iPhone 6s phones. Well today I called to do it. Of course being verizon the story has changed, I can only get a droid turbo or another droid, no iPhone. I just don't get it, I have 4 and 6 months left and they are jerking me around. I have been a verizon customer for over 10 years and used to get early upgrades, can't even get that anymore. I think I will ride out my contract or just break the contract and go elsewhere, loyalty is worth crap anymore.

Not applicable

On early edge there are only certain phones available. If you were not on contract you could get any phone. That's just the way the rules are. Verizon doesn't have to have an early upgrade option AT ALL. If they don't want to. I'm sure why with so little time left you'd want to do early edge anyway. Give up for phone for a 4 month early upgrade even if you could get the phone you want? When you could wait 4 months and keep you current phone or sell it and use that money to use to get your new phone.

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

NotAHappyVerizonUser wrote:

I have talked with customer service in the past about switching to edge and they said I was eligable because I want to iPhone 6s phones. Well today I called to do it. Of course being verizon the story has changed, I can only get a droid turbo or another droid, no iPhone. I just don't get it,

It is not necessarily that the story has changed. The phones eligible for Early Edge change occasionally. You spoke with them in the "past" about Early Edge. It is quite possible that an iPhone was available when you spoke with them. That does not mean the iPhone is "currently" available for Early Edge. If you WANT a specific phone on Early Edge, you should GET that phone when you are told it is available as the available phone MAY and most likely WILL change.

If you don't take an offer WHEN it is offered, you may not get it at a later time.

0 Likes

sprmankalel
Leader

I really really wish that VZW would just NOT allow upgrade until the date specified by the contract. Get rid of Early Edge completely. This would stop all confusion and complaints about the program. At the end of the contract you keep your device or trade it in for whatever the value is. There is no need for device promotions. Make it easy. Then make no exceptions.

0 Likes

Aleksnamy

All I can say is if you have worked in a "mom and pop"  shop you should know how valuable each individual consumers/customer is.  Verizon makes enough money where they can be lenient at times or should be all the time.  But it is what it is.  We either deal with it or we leave and dine somewhere else. I don't care about losing my current phone,  I would rather have a different phone.  Let's see what happens in September,  maybe I'll get a birthday gift from Verizon hahaha!

0 Likes