Highlighted

Still a Verizon customer but have received $130+ debt collector letter?!

Hi Verizon & Community,

I've been a Verizon customer for 5+ years. I just got a debt collector bill for $130 even though I pay on time each month and have done always.

I was post-paid until 4th April 2019 then I moved to prepaid. Feb 5th 2020 I increased my contract from $35 a month to $40 - better data to call family.

July 25th 2020 I get a distressing letter from a debt collector called Southwest Credit chasing me for over a $130...i'm still a Verizon customer and have paid my bills on time each and every month for 5 years?! I called them and their agent says 'Verizon looks forward to welcoming me back as a customer to Verizon'...I am still a customer - I don't need welcomed back, I need to be looked after. 

I've spent over 6 hours on hold over the last week with different team members who have no idea how to help me. They send me from pre-paid to post-paid and back again, to the financial services team, to the sales team...nobody can explain to me how as an ongoing customer how this has happened. 

Can someone at Verizon please tell me how a loyal customer that pays on time gets a letter from a debt collector without one person from Verizon telling me there was ever a problem - my phone number has not changed but no phone call, no text message either. My email has not changed - no email received. My address has not changed but no letters received to tell me there was any problem.

Someone help.  

Gerrybean8
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Still a Verizon customer but have received $130+ debt collector letter?!

Customer Support

Gerrybean8

Receiving a letter like that would concern me as well. And I just want to be as transparent as possible so that we can get this resolved for you. If you had a postpaid account and moved to a prepaid account it is absolutely possible that you could have had an unpaid amount on that postpaid account. When you went to prepaid, that postpaid account was closed so any monies owed would not follow you to prepaid. If you have an amount turned over to collections, sadly that will be who you need to reach out to for that. The only other option would be to reach out to our recovery team at 800-852-1922 to see what other options you have to resolve that debt.

Edward_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Still a Verizon customer but have received $130+ debt collector letter?!

Because postpaid and prepaid are two different billing systems. If you switched to prepaid without paying your final postpaid bill, it goes to collections.

It's not a matter of still being a Verizon customer, but no longer a postpaid customer. Since the account is in collections, an agent wouldn't be able to do anything. It has to be settled with the debt collector. You may be able to work a deal to not have to pay the full amount.

0 Likes