Highlighted

Spike in data usage

We are home fusion Internet users for wi-fi. We had major overages when we got it installed in Sept of 2014.  We paid over 700.00 in data overages in a 2 month billing cycle. We were charged for 60g in one cycle.  Who does that.  I felt we were not responsible for. And I was in contact w/ Verizon every other day. V generously gave us a 40.00 credit.  Wow!  We consistently use from 14-18g a month. And that is careless use. If we are data conscious we can keep it at 10g a billing cycle.  This month we didn't change anything we do.  No extra usage. We don't stream movies, we don't watch shows or TV or Netflix or even you tube we may watch a video that is in Facebook every week and short videos. I email, I search... anyway our history tells the story. 

To date:  we have 11g of overages.  And we aren't doing anything different. We still have 7 days to go.  I had 3 alerts in a 2 hour period saying I used all of our 7,8,9th extra gig. Heck it took us a week to use the 1gig we were able to get with our rewards points. I was shocked at how slow the 1 gig was consumed.  And we have the same usage habits and patterns today. WAZ UP! VERIZON? why are you so inconsistant?  Why aren't all gigs consumed the same as the rewards gig.  Don't you care about keeping us happy?

Anyone else having this problem???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Spike in data usage

Sr. Leader

Install a data meter on your device to track what is being used and when.  System updates, backups may be responsible.

keep in mind data is not tracked in real time.  Data is collected at intervals after logging out of a device or application.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

Can you let us know what all is connected to the device? How many phones, computers, tablets etc?

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Computers can do lots of updates in the background without you realizing anything is happening. 60 GB may be a lot to you, but for home Internet is actually very little. Most people I know with cable Internet use 200 to 1000 GB per month

First is to isolate which connected device(s) are using the extra data.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

drop in the bucket for me.    Cox has a 300 GB data cap, which we get close to now and then.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I'm trying to figure this data usage out for I just updated our plan from 6 to 10GB since last couple months we've went over. Hopefully I can gain some knowledge on this so we can learn better ways to conserve.  Right now I am trying to get help with resetting the usage cycle on my Samsung galaxy s3 for cycle ended yesterday and I want to track it on a daily basis. For that darn smartphone is what's sucking our allowance but can't figure out what's doing it.  I've got to start over with each device to see what each is using.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

chammievonroll

You can't reset the cycle, but you can move the slider to select a date range.

WHich apps are using the most data On that phone?

IS battery saver on, on the phone?  This also restricts background data which can use data without you knowing.

Highlighted

I've uninstalled alot and got rid of the battery saver app for that may have been an issue like u said about background apps. Still working on this thanks for the info.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

@chammievonroll

You misunderstand my post.  To limit data use, you want to restrict background data.  It is not an app.  It is a setting in your phone.

YOu still did not answer my question.  Which apps are using the most data.

Highlighted

Customer Support

I can understand the concern for data usage chanmievonroll. We do our best to provide you with many tips and ways to track data on your phone. The information given by Mama23dogs is correct. Try moving the over the slider to select a date range. We also recommend our #DATA on your phones to check usage or online via My-Verizon. If you backdated the plan change to cover the entier month, the #DATA on your phone will be very accurate for usage total. Here are some great tips to help keep usage down http://vz.to/1wBOP1g .

KinquanaH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!