Slow hotspot/tethering speeds - very disappointed

jamaicatom

I recently signed up for the Above Unlimited Plan with Verizon. The promise was 4GLTE speeds for the first 20GB of Mobile Hotspot use.

I tethered to my IMac and did a speed test with Ookla right away since the performance was abysmal.  I range 1.5-1.6mb download and around 600k upload or less.

My ATT tethering got 12MB download during the same time frame and 3MB upload from the same computer and location.

We live within a close distance to several towers.

Since I did this test right away, there is no way that I could be at the 20GB threshold. I have continued to test over the last two days and still can't achieve any better speeds.

This is not acceptable and from what I'm seeing in other threads,  Verizon should worry that enough people are experiencing this that it could end up being a serious public relations and legal problem.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Slow hotspot/tethering speeds - very disappointed

Joherrin

I am having the same issues.  I have the plan restart today and my speeds should be phenomenal.  I am averaging 2-300 kbs for download speeds.  I do a speed test and have 50mbps then 2mbps after a second test.  I called yesterday to be told my coverage area is inconsistent and that I have one option... leave Verizon without any repercussions.  ARE YOU SERIOUS! The only option is to lose 4 lines of service.  AND the call was recorded.  I could not even believe my ears.  Now after reading so many of these comments I realize it is way more than just me.  Verizon needs to figure this issue out or they will lose a much larger base than they expect.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Joherrin

Adding to this when I download an update the download for a game, system, or webpage is 146kbps.  Surfing the web 20mbps.  It seems any downloads are prohibited.  I tried downloading on STEAM and Blizzard.net and the are both showing under 200kbps while trying to download a game as well as update. Says it will take over 7 days.  Lag is also over 1000 ms and server out of atlanta.

0 Likes

Joherrin

20180704_105213.jpg20180704_105123.jpg

0 Likes

Joherrin

Please if anyone (VERIZON) can explain it would be awesome.  Right now there is no explanation.

Austinmac1

I also am looking for the answer to this... I called verizon once today. They told me my sim card was programmed incorrectly. They bad me shut my phone off and then take out the sim card and then restart my phone. I'm getting download speeds of in the bytes per second downloading on stea.. That's right bytes per second. I asked them what I should be seeing, they said 600 kbs. I'm not even close to that.. they are about to lose another customer...

0 Likes

glitchedpixel

Steam slows down even with real internet. With millions of customers, Verizon isn't going to allow full speeds paired with a mobile hotspot.

0 Likes

ArtsyRizzo

Yea this will be my first time and last time dealing with them. Thought I'd try a new carrier amd they cheated me on returning a phone that they claimed was brand new but was slower than any phone I've had in years and i have unlimited yet still only get 200-300 kbps download speed but a week ago when i first got the plan i was getting 5mbps of download speed which was fine with me, i talked to someome earleir to find out what was wrong they just told me to turn my phone off and on as if that actually did anything. Verizon is just terrible with helping customers and if you ask me i don't think they care. Back to TMobile i go.

0 Likes

boringusername

@ArtsyRizzo wrote:

Yea this will be my first time and last time dealing with them. Thought I'd try a new carrier amd they cheated me on returning a phone that they claimed was brand new but was slower than any phone I've had in years and i have unlimited yet still only get 200-300 kbps download speed but a week ago when i first got the plan i was getting 5mbps of download speed which was fine with me, i talked to someome earleir to find out what was wrong they just told me to turn my phone off and on as if that actually did anything. Verizon is just terrible with helping customers and if you ask me i don't think they care. Back to TMobile i go.

If t-mobile was so great why did you leave? If you were only getting 5 Mbps at best then it seems like your tower is congested.

0 Likes