Highlighted

Should I switch from More Everything (not Edge) to Verizon Plan?

I have 3 iPhones under contract (2 until March 2016, one until May 2016).  We share 16 GB data (15 regular plus 1 bonus GB) for $100-15% State of CA employee discount which comes to $85.  We are not on the Edge plan, so pay $40 line access x 3 phones = $120.  (Actually one line gets a 10% discount so the access total is $116.)  We paid Apple Care+ for 2 phones ($99 each) and Verizon phone insurance ($10/month) for one of the phones since it covers theft/loss. 

The Verizon Plan XXL data is $100 for 18GB.  Assuming I would still get the 15% discount, that would be 2 extra GB for the same $85.  I know the access fee would stay at $40 until we are out of contract but then would go down to $20 per line.

Based on this information, it seems that I should switch to the Verizon Plan to get the extra 2 GB (actually 3 since 1 GB is currently a bonus that will expire.)  Is there any reason I shouldn't switch from Verizon More Everything to the new Verizon Plan?

If I stay on More Everything (not on Edge), will be line access go down to $20 a line when I am out of contract, or is this only if I switch to Verizon Plan?

I know there is also an Apple Plan that includes Apple Care+.  We always get Apple Care+ our two phones,  but get the Verizon phone insurance for our son who is more likely to lose his phone.  We generally replace our phones every two years, and I've heard that the Apple Plan is really for people who want to upgrade every year.

What would I give up with More Everything (if anything) to gain the extra 2 GB for the "time limited" XXL Verizon Plan?  I read something about subsidized phones when my contract expires, but isn't that what the new payment plans are,  a monthly fee for two years until your phone is paid for?

Would appreciate any advice, as I find this all so confusing. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Should I switch from More Everything (not Edge) to Verizon Plan?

Sr. Leader

What you will give up:

When you are of contract, your access fee on More Everything would drop to $15 with a $25 month to month discount for each line.  On My Verizon it will be $20

everything else you said is right.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Not sure about all the other stuff but your free 1GB, promotional.... Check on it.... I also come out of contract March 2016 and the 1GB expired this cycle and caused us an overage since I had 4 lines total data allowance set at total of 20.90. I forgotten about it honestly, I mean, its been a year..... I didn't get any kind of reminder...... Didn't know if we got it at same time since our contracts were so close to same date. Trying to save another parent from unnecessary overage. Hope you get the answers you need. The only thing I can gather from the new plan.... In my opinion.... The customer its targeting is the one who wants every new model and doesn't want to wait 2 years...... If you have the new iPhone for 649.00 divided by 24 months (still 2 yrs just not contract)  roughly  $27.04 /month.... Say after one year, new model comes out, you want it...... You've paid app. $324.48...... Still owing $324.00 which you can out right pay to upgrade right then and not have to wait. If you're not one of the people who wants every new device immediately, I just don't see how it benefits them.  My teen is going to drive me nuts!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for your response, julieharp.  I'll keep an eye on my free 1GB expiration date.  I bit the bullet and pay $5/month for Family Base to regulate son's data use.  When his share is gone for the month, his data shuts off, so no overage fees.

I'm just trying to figure out if I will lose anything by switching to Verizon Plan, because it appears that I would get 3 more GB for the same monthly price.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

What you will give up:

When you are of contract, your access fee on More Everything would drop to $15 with a $25 month to month discount for each line.  On My Verizon it will be $20

everything else you said is right.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks, Weth.  I thought the $15 was just for people on the Edge program.  So by switching to Verizon Plan to get the 3 extra GB per month, I will be paying $15/month higher access fees on my 3 phones once out of contract.  I see this as a $15 savings if I keep the same phones.   But when we decide to purchase new phones, won't we have to go to the new device payment plan option anyway?  Or is there some kind of subsidy buying new phones (out of contract) if we stick with More Everything?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

You can stay with More Everything even when you upgrade phones using device payment plan. The same $25 per line discount will still apply.

You do not need to change to My Verizon if you want to upgrade. You can keep your current plan with the options available with that plan. You could even do a contract if you wanted to (I do not recommend).

You should now have enough info to decide what is best for you

15 GB for $85

3 line access  at $15/each or $45

OR

18 GB for $85

3 line access at $20/each or $60.

So in reality you will pay $15 for 3 additional GB. Which do you want?

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

In addition to all of the good information Weth has given you, the discount for being month to month on More Everything is not automatic. You will have to call in to have it applied OR you can log into your MyVerizon account and apply it yourself.

Additionally, since More Everything is now a legacy plan, it is unlikely the prices for the various data tiers will change much if at all. Since the Verizon Plan is now the current plan, the data prices are subject to change and the different data tiers will likely change in price from time to time in the hopes of attracting more people to switch. If you switch now to the 18 GB plan for the same price you are currently paying, it is possible you would be able to get a larger data allowance for the same price by the time your lines are out of contract, giving you an even better increase of data for the additional $15/month. Prices of data have steadily declined ever since Share Everything/More Everything was introduced. I see no reason for this trend to stop with all the competition for customers. Legacy plan prices will not likely change, but current plan prices WILL continue to do so.Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thank you for pointing out that the month to month discount on More Everything can be requested.  It never occurred to me until I started reading this forum, that I might be entitled to a discount once I am out of contract since I never got on the Edge program.

rschnoor, I want to make sure I understand what you are saying in your final paragraph.  Are you suggesting that if I switch now to the 18 GB plan, it might give me more options when I am out of contract that won't be available to me if I stay with More Everything now and switch later?

Just to clarify, is your suggestion that if I stay with More Everything, there won't be much hope for better data prices on the old plan, so the $15 might be worth it if I make the switch now?

I read on another thread someone said last year there was a 30 GB "limited time" option for $120, and that you should grab these specials and hang on for dear life until the next one comes!

I realize it's all speculation, but I do so appreciate all of the wisdom here.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

It is true there was a 30 GB offer for $130. I grabbed it. I have 5 lines (3 smartphones, 2 tablets) sharing 130 GB, all out of contract and smartphones getting the More Everything $25/month discount plus some company discount for a total of $185, all taxes included. I will hold onto that as long as I can, or until something better comes along.

The 18 GB plan has been announced as a limited time offer, so it will likely be going away like the 30 GB offer did and never come back or come back many months later.

If you need the data, or suspect you will grow into the data (remember you only need to use 15.01 GB to justify the extra 3 GB) switching and taking advantage of the 18 GB plan does make sense. There will never be specials on the old More Everything Plan. While you can switch at anytime, the 18 GB offer may be gone at any time.

Both options have merits.

Weth, you have a gift for taking a complicated issue and breaking it down into understandable parts!  You are so right that the tiniest overage on data triggers the $15 charge.  And it makes sense that there will be no more incentives with More Everything.

We will need the data as long as we carry our son on our plan, which I suspect will be for longer that I would prefer.  So maybe we should just grab the 18 GB, and hope that something better comes along eventually.  (I remember that I switched to my current plan on the last day before the data plans went up in price.)

The plan you have is a "bargain" compared to what is being offered now!  I guess if we had really been thinking ahead, we would have bought our smart phones during the days of unlimited data, and paid full price on our phones to keep the plan going.

Thanks, again!

0 Likes