Highlighted

Several ? about prepaid plans, porting #, final costs?

We are seniors on a 700 minute share (smallest plan they have) month to month since our contracts have expired.  It's costing up about $140 a month and we never ever come close to using any of it,  last month it was 27 minutes and much less than 1G of data.  Living on a set income we need cut waste where possible and this is a big one. 

We would like to switch to the prepaid plan and have some questions.

1. Are there any additional fees to the prepaid price other than the local sales tax??  About 30% of the cost of the plan we have now are fees and charges of some sort.

2. Can we port over our phone numbers?  My smart phone is set up for the sim card but we had purchased an inexpensive basic phone @ Kmart for hubby.  We don't want to lose our numbers since they are tied into to many things in our lives.

3. The account right now is associated with our NY service but we also a Verizon NJ account.  Can we switch the prepaid to the NJ account to save some money?

4.  Is the same extra 500MB available in both states with the autopay option?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Several ? about prepaid plans, porting #, final costs?

Customer Support
Lnb804,

We know that keeping costs low are important and always here to ensure that you are receiving the best value. We may certainly have plans available for you to reduce costs with your current account. Take a look at the details here http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan/nationwide-65-plus. However, if you have any other questions in regards to our Prepaid services, our representatives can be reached directly by calling 1-888-294-6804.

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support
Lnb804,

We know that keeping costs low are important and always here to ensure that you are receiving the best value. We may certainly have plans available for you to reduce costs with your current account. Take a look at the details here http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan/nationwide-65-plus. However, if you have any other questions in regards to our Prepaid services, our representatives can be reached directly by calling 1-888-294-6804.

AdamG_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Do you have smartphones or basic phones? I assume you have 2 lines.

If you have basic phones, you can lower your monthly bill by 50% simply by switching to More Everything.

Each basic phone line access fee is $20. With 2 lines that brings it to $40/month.

Add 1 GB of data for $30/month.

This is with unlimited talk/text

Your total before taxes would be $70/month. Taxes probably won't run much more than $10 or so per month.

Of course you can go with a lower More Everything plan. Only adding 500 MB of data/month would drop the bill by $10/month. You still get unlimited talk/text.

You can drop it even further if you go with a 700 minute plan on More Everything which would only add $5/month to your line access fees. With this plan, you would be paying $1.99/MB for data, though. If you use more than 7 MB in a month, you would be better going with at least the 500 MB plan.

If you have smartphones and you switched to More Everything, you should also be able to realize some pretty good savings, too. Since you are out of contract on your phones, you would be eligible for a $15/month line access fee for those lines. You can also go with the 1 GB data allowance for $30 bringing your bill before taxes to $60/month. You would have to manually add the month to month discount once you switched over to More Everything, but even so you bill would STILL be lower before it took effect.

0 Likes
Highlighted

One smart phone and one basic phone.  It's all the extra fees and tack-ons that add about 30% to the bill.  If I can get everything for under $100 total that would be great.  If the prepaid is all inclusive meaning all that is added is the basic sales tax then that seems to be the way to go.  I can surely get away with 1G data, calls and messages is minimum.

Figuring $35 for basic and $45 for smart phone with prepaid would amount to about $90 a month. 

Porting over the numbers is important too.

0 Likes
Highlighted

The other problem is whenever you speak to someone they can NEVER give you the exact bottomline of what it will cost you.  It's like phone bill roulette and somehow ........ BANG you're always on the losing end.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

One smartphone and one basic phone on the More Everything plan would work out like the following.

$20 basic phone line access fee

$25 smartphone line access fee($40 less $15 discount for being out of contract)

$30 for 1 GB of shared data

Total = $75 plus taxes/fees

Taxes/fees should not be much more than $10-$12 bringing your total to $87/month.

What extra fees/tack-ons do you have which amount to 30% of the bill??? My taxes/fees with 4 smartphones and 10 GB of data run $21/month of my $168 bill which comes to 12.5% of my bill. Do you have insurance added to your bill? If so, you may want to think about cancelling that.

Keep in mind, you will need to log into your MyVerizon account and add that $15 month to month discount. Until you do so, the smartphone line access fee will be $40, bringing your total bill closer to $105/month.

Highlighted

This covers the smart phone portion only.

Wireless charges 2015 May.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Your taxes will lower after switching to More Everything. Additionally, as I said previously you may want to consider keeping some of your other unnecessary add-ons such as your extended warranty. Things such as this also bring up the total on the monthly bill. Of course your additional NYC taxes/fees add up, too.

Monthly charge for smartphone WITHOUT line access fee discount:

Untitled-1.jpg

Monthly charge for smartphone WITH line access fee discount:

Untitled-2.jpg

Notice the taxes/fees go down when the line access fee is discounted. Of course, your discount would only be $15 instead of $25 with only a 1 GB data allowance.

Highlighted

Yep, NY - NYC tack-ons will kill you.  Thinking of switching the cell phones to my location in NJ! 

Thanks, I will look into your suggestions! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support
Hi Lnb804,

We would love to have you join in the Verizon Wireless family! We know that you are receiving a lot of information which maybe confusing. Lets get you in the right direction to get started. Please contact our sales professionals at 1-888-924-7937. They can compare pricing in terms of postpaid plans vs prepaid plans, and go over any current offers.

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW