Highlighted

Re: Samsung S4 No Alert Sounds

I am using the android default, not Verizon.

Blessings,Diana

0 Likes
Highlighted

I assume you have already checked its settings menu, three dots upper right corner, Settings, Notifications, Notification Sound

When you choose a sound there does it play the sound immediately?

To boot safe mode, press and hold the physical power button until you get the on-screen shutdown options then select the on-screen Power-off option and hold it until it prompts for safe mode.

0 Likes
Highlighted

If you are you able to review the previous person's interactions please do.  I wish to resolve this without having starting all over again.  

My phone has:  Settings, Sound and Notification, Sounds - ringtones, media, notification and aytem.

I have checked ALL sound settings throughout the phone and been in safe mode to check for any app I had downloaded.  

Overview: My phone rings when someone calls, I can receive calendar alerts and my alarm works.  However, my phone will not alert me of a text. 

I hope that information will help.

Blessings,Diana

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

We want you to get those alerts for those notifications on your phone, dla928. In the past have you used Google Hangouts? Samsung has informed us that any settings in Hangouts can override any sound settings for alerts on the phone like messages and calendar. It would be best to go to Hangouts in the phone to change sound settings there and disable Hangouts as well.

Also another feature that can cause this issue is Blocking Mode. It would be best to make sure that Blocking Mode is turned off. Here is a link on how to do that http://vz.to/1Lc9tvi
StevenG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I do not have Hangout and I could not find Block on my settings and following the instructions you included. Again, the only thing effected is my text notification which is the basic text that came with my phone. Again, this only happened after my first phone update in May. Since is seems that there is something else I must be missing, I will take it into a Verizon store for them to look for me. Thank you for all your help!

0 Likes
Highlighted

The settings I am referring to here are within the text messaging app, not at the system level.

0 Likes
Highlighted

It was on, so I turned it off, restarted my phone and know it works. Thank you so much!!!

Highlighted

It seems that I did check that out. My phone notification in settings was down, so I checked and no sound. I had someone text me and with my phone setting up and my messaging setting on, I am not receiving a sound. Ugh...

Blessings,Diana

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

We know how important it is to get those alerts when a new text comes in, dla928. Since this issue started have you tried using our Verizon Message app (Message+)? Also have you tried a Factory Data Reset on your phone while not choosing Automatic Restart when you set it back up? Here is a link on how to do the reset http://vz.to/1NQubVv

You will want to backup everything on your phone first though. You can do this by using our Verizon Cloud app.
StevenG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Have you factory reset the phone since that Jelly Bean update?  I know the S4 got a Lollipop update a while back and factory resetting is strongly advised at that point.

0 Likes