Highlighted

SMS Spam from Email Addresses

I have been getting text messages, mainly of sexual nature, on my new Verizon iPhone since I purchased it in September 2019. I tend to get upwards of five texts a day that all come from email domains such as *.gmail.com, *outlook.com, *hotmail.com. I've spoken to Verizon "support" numerous times and even to the representatives in the store where I purchased the phone and no one can seem to resolve this! The fix is to simply - Block all text messages that reside from the web/email address. Verizon even has a feature under your account that's called Blocks, located under Plan when you login to your Verizon Account. It allows you to block text messages from the web or individual domains like I mentioned above. The problem is that it doesn't work and no one that I've spoken to in support seems to know anything about this so called feature. 

There answer is always "Well you can get another number for free". That is an extremely invasive action since I will have to inform all of my contacts of my new number. Furthermore, Verizon doesn't give out new numbers, they give out re-cycled numbers which means I have continue to have similar or worse problems with a different number.

I just can't believe Verizon hires thousands of technicians yet none of them can resolve a common problem like this! The reality is they probably can, but it will cost them $$ so they choose not to. 

Well, I've lost about all patience and belief in Verizon!

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: SMS Spam from Email Addresses

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, there. We know how annoying unwanted texts can be, and we want to do everything possible to help. What is the make and model of your device?

BreannaH_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Duke43,

That's a great phone. We want to make sure we find the very best options for you.The iPhone itself has several blocks, including one that will let you easily block these email addresses from sending you messages. You can find them at http://spr.ly/66001UxSo . Is that something you have tried?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Those solutions do not work - I’m receiving SMS messages not iMessages. Plus, the senders email address constantly changes so filtering/blocking individual source addresses is pointless.

Why does Verizon have an option to block all text messages from the web in our online portal if it doesn’t work?? The option I’m referring to in under plan>blocks once you login to your Verizon wireless portal.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Duke43, thank you so much for the reply back. We know that getting these text messages can be an annoyance. We want to a stop to these messages once and for all. You can block up to 15 email addresses for free through the Block page or with the My Verizon App https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-unblock-services-faqs/ (Question #5).

Also, we would recommend to remove the spam text message by forwarding the text to short code 7726 https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-unblock-services-faqs/ (Question #10).

KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Those options do nothing to resolve the issue I, and many others, are having! 

Why is there an option to block all text messages from the web, and added domains, under our VW account if it doesn’t work? No one has been able to answer that question.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

We can understand your frustration, Duke43. If this is becoming a big issue for you, we also offer the option to change your mobile number free of charge. Would this be an option for you?

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

So everyone is supposed to change their number? Seems unrealistic. If we want to pay for something we can get an app. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I am with Duke43 on this one... There is an option in My Verizon under my device to block ALL text from web and email, however when you check the boxes, the settings don't stay enabled. 

To Verizon Wireless - DUKE asked you at least 3 times, and you failed to answer. WHY IS THAT OPTION THERE IF IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!

0 Likes