Highlighted

Retired teacher discount?

I'm a retired teacher from a district in New York State. Am I eligible for a discount? The reps in the local Verizon store are clueless.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Retired teacher discount?

Customer Support

Jsmithw, I'm sorry that when you were seeking information on discount for retirees, you weren't given any information. Let me help. We do have some negotiated discounts with companies for their retirees. I have reviewed the list and your employer isn't on our list. I apologize.

KatrinaN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Unfortunately I have never seen a discount for any type of retirement from Verizon. The only discount phone company that I know of for seniors  is Jitterbug. If you find that Verizon does have one for retirees please let us know.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

kathy65793 wrote:

Unfortunately I have never seen a discount for any type of retirement from Verizon. The only discount phone company that I know of for seniors is Jitterbug. If you find that Verizon does have one for retirees please let us know.

I believe that the question was about a discount for a retired teacher. Not a senior citizen. Not all seniors are retired you don't have to be a senior to be retired.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

jsmithw wrote:

I'm a retired teacher from a district in New York State. Am I eligible for a discount? The reps in the local Verizon store are clueless.

Are you keeping your teacher email address?

0 Likes
Highlighted

I never had an email address with the district.

0 Likes

Leader

Once you retire, there will be no way to verify your employment as you won't have a steady income from the district.

Every once in a while VZW asks for verification of employment. The good thing is that district won't report to VZW that you have retired. Keep it on until such time as VZW asks for verification. With no way to provide that verification it will drop off.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I get a steady income from the state retirement system. In addition, the district sends me checks for Medicare reimbursement.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

That won't suffice for when/if Verizon asks you to verify employment. Of course, you can try.

Don't worry about anything until such time as you are asked to provide proof of discount eligibility. If you already have the discount, let it ride. You can always bring your pay stubs from the state retirement system to a corporate store and have them use it to verification. It will then need to be approved by the finance department. At that point they worst they can say is no and the discount drops off.  However, if you currently have the discount then let it be until you're asked for verification.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Jsmithw, I'm sorry that when you were seeking information on discount for retirees, you weren't given any information. Let me help. We do have some negotiated discounts with companies for their retirees. I have reviewed the list and your employer isn't on our list. I apologize.

KatrinaN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thank you for the answer. It's unfortunate the store employees are so clueless. Makes me wonder what else they don't know.