Highlighted

Replace a smartphone with a tablet on a Family Plan

I have a smartphone on a Family Plan that is no longer required (as a phone). I would like to activate my tablet using that phone line. Is this possible under an existing Family Plan? I do not want to change to a different plan. Is it possible for the tablet to just take over the phone plan (obviously, the phone service would not be applicable)? I just want the associated data to be used for the tablet.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Replace a smartphone with a tablet on a Family Plan

You should have no problems adding the tablet to your plan and the cost should be less than the cost of the phone that is on the plan.  Removing the smartphone from the plan may be an issue depending on how long ago you acquired the smartphone and how you acquired it: 2 year contract, device payment plan (aka Edge), paid outright, etc.  If it is out of contract or paid off you can simply remove it.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks, Ken. I appreciate the clarification that I can add the tablet. With the Family Plan being a retired plan (for new service), I am not readily in the know as to what is available for devices. In my case, I prefer to replace the phone, which is on a 4GB data plan (priced using a double the data promotion), with the tablet. I do not know what a 4GB plan would run me as a device on my Family Plan if I just added it separately and just dropped the phone line. The phone line is off plan and could be dropped directly.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

What exact plan are you on?  More Everything?  If so, no problem, just put the tablet in their on your monthly line fee will be $10. 

Highlighted

I am on the old Family Plan. This was the plan before the More Everything. Nothing is shared. Each line has its own data allocation. When both Verizon and I did the calculations, the More Everything plan was more expensive than the Family Plan. I am not prepared to move to the new plan (I prefer the data segmented by line for administrative purposes). The old Family Plan allowed for a maximum of 5 lines on the account. I have 3 smartphones and 2 basic phones. One of the smartphones is no longer needed (as a phone). Thus, the preference to move my iPad to that line. I am just beginning the investigation as to the benefit of taking over the data plan with the iPad versus just dropping the phone line and doing a separate plan directly from the device. I just prefer the billing to be centralized.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

pmoconnor - We want you to be aware of your available options if wanting to switch your current smartphone line over to a tablet device. I'm here to help. You can definitely transfer the number on your existing smartphone line you no longer need over to your tablet device. While the tablet line is not able to share on the older plans (prior to More Everything), it can be on a standalone data plan (Mobile Hotspot is included so long as the tablet is capable) of $30 for 2GBs, $50 for 5GBs or $80 for 10GBs.

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes