Highlighted

Recent Flooding in Texas

Many people have lost their phones due to the recent flooding. They either were swept away or were soaked in water. It would sure be nice if they could get help with replacement phones from Verizon and others who have good phones they aren't using. Has any program been set up yet to help these flood victims?

Janis

Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: Recent Flooding in Texas

Leader

You're the first person that I've seen to bring this up. I didn't realize that the flooding had engulfed houses to the roof, I have family over that way, but perhaps in a different area. You should remind those folks that lost their houses that they should be able to claim things like phones on their home owners insurance and even possibly renters insurance. Or if they have insurance on their mobile device they can certainly use that as well to get a replacement.

0 Likes
Highlighted

It's really a shame that people who have lost pretty much everything should have to fork over a deductible to the insurance company for their phones. 100.00 or even 50.00 feels like several thousand when you're faced with replacing everything.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

I'm not sure that's something that will ever happen.  Truth be told of american corporations.

What about insurance deductibles for cars and electronics, furniture and appliances?  Should those be free too?

That's why people have insurance...to cover accidents.  But some insurance doesn't cover any act of any god.

Highlighted

Leader

I think what's even more terrible is those folks who don't have home owners or renters insurance and can't fork over anything to get anything. They are forced to spend thousands on buying everything new, out of pocket, from socks and underwear to paying for a place to live.

Highlighted

No but you also have the option to have a lower deductible on those policies. It's just a slightly higher premium

0 Likes
Highlighted

Another bad thing to consider is that flood insurance is a totally separate thing from home owners/renters insurance. Many aren't even aware of that or see it as an expense they can't afford. Very sad.

Highlighted

Leader

Cadynce wrote:

It's really a shame that people who have lost pretty much everything should have to fork over a deductible to the insurance company for their phones. 100.00 or even 50.00 feels like several thousand when you're faced with replacing everything.

While I feel for people who suffer a tragedy, this is exactly what insurance is for. I am sure that others in the community may have extra devices to help and VZW, whenever possible, will send the C.O.W.S. and S.O.W.S. (trucks that provide cell coverage and charging) to the areas hit by the flood. It is hard to think about and nobody wants to but insurance is for just this purpose and the little expense of a deductible far outweighs having to purchase everything new.

Highlighted

Maybe what some folks don't realize is not everyone was able to afford flood insurance so a lot of things weren't covered I had some old cell phones I turned into verizon and got them to wipe clean my old info on them and I donated them. I found out that often women's shelter groups or those who sponsor victims of tragic events give these phones to the folks to use while getting up on their feet.

....Just my two cents.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

I meant insurance on the device. I'm going to reserve further comment at the risk of sounding insensitive.