Highlighted

Re: Why pay a $35 Device Setup

$70 total in setup/ upgrade fees for me!: I was charged a similar $29.99 "setup assistant" fee when upgrading from one flip phone to another, being naive to the fact that the Verizon store I ordered from was not an actual corporate store- but a TCC retailer with its own fees. So when my Verizon bill (1 and 1/2 months later) showed an additional $40 upgrade fee, you can imagine how unfair this seems to be paying $70 in fees to upgrade my flip phone! (or any phone for that matter).  I am still not clear what types of services I am receiving for this $70.... only that the girl at TCC transferred my contacts without ever explaining this would be an additional charge... Both Verizon and the TCC store told me that their  charges are fair and standard, and refused my request for any refund.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

The upgrade fee is standard across all carriers. Verizon Wireless does offer the option of an upgrade fee of $20 if you order online through the Verizon Wireless website. Otherwise the upgrade fee is $40 for in store purchases. If you had purchased at a corporate store, the upgrade fee is charged in that in store transaction otherwise it is added to your next bill for purchases made through third party retailers. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

if I buy a TV at Best Buy, should Samsung refund me any warranty Best Buy sold me? Of course not. It makes no sense for Verizon to refund a charge they didn't charge. 

Highlighted

Customer Support

Hello, Garota. I can understand your concern with additional fees being charged to your account and during the upgrade process. The upgrade fee is standard when upgrading to a new device but it can be lessened when purchasing the device online. The following site will help to explain: http://spr.ly/6601Gdg0h. Concerning purchasing the device at an in-direct store location, there can be charges which we would not applied by Verizon Wireless, but rather the store directly. With the store not being an official direct Verizon Wireless location, they do have an option to charge for services such as you have described. In order to find the closest direct Verizon Wireless store location, you can use the following site: http://spr.ly/6602GdgF6  ChrisM_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Indeed this was a lesson learned the hard way. I would advise customers to avoid going to an authorized retailer and instead stick to a legit verizon corporate store to avoid duplicate and unnecessary fees. I now see that this particular TCC store I went to has horrific reviews on yelp, and it is no secret that their quality of service is lacking and its policies suspect. It was just very unexpected and disappointing that Verizon has no power to hold their "authorized" stores accountable for the ethics or quality of their customer service. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Garota 

Why should they? If company wants add insurance to an iPhone that isn't Apple Care, Apple isn't going to step in with a no. Same goes for Verizon as a corporation for fees they don't charge. It's up to us as the consumer to do research.

Personally haven't stepped foot in a cell phone store for anything other than a case in the past 3+ years.

0 Likes
Highlighted

WHAT A RACKET!!! YOUR UPGRADING WITH THEIR NEWEST DEVICES AND USUALLY UPGRADED THE HUGE BILL. ALSO, YOU PAY AT THE STORE A LARGE FEE, THEN GET BILLED A LARGE AND ARE CHARGED $40 PER DEVICE THIS IS ROBBERY!!!! ALSO, THEY HAVE NO DISCOUNTS FOR SENIOR WHICH IS REDICULOUS!!!!!!! I HATE VERIZON, BUT I AM TRAPPED!!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

VERIZON IS A GENIUS IN GETTING MONEY OUT OF US!!!! SET UP FEES, LARGE BILLS, NO SENIOR DISCOUNTS!!! GO ELSE WHERE!! GO TO A COMPANY WHO CARES!!!! I NOW AM TRAPPED AGAIN FOR ANOTHER 2 YEARS AND I WISH I WOULD HAVE GONE ELSEWHERE!!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I'm glad that you were educated at some point about this racket and have managed to avoid the nonsense for 3 years... But it is unfair to expect a customer to know that this is not a trustworthy Verizon store, when everything about the look of the store is designed to make you believe that it is! And certainly no one in the store tells you otherwise...This whole experience has been a wake up call about corporations in general. These stores are crooked as heck and make it blatantly clear that customer service is no longer a priority. Did I mention that at this particular store there is an employee who proudly refuses to wear a mask, due to the fact he thinks his beard is too cute to cover up?? True story

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Thank you for your feedback Garota. We will lift your opinion up to our leadership team.

JoeL_VZW

0 Likes