Highlighted

Questionable Data Usage On My Phone...

I was checking my account and saw that there is over 48mb of data usage that I never used. It states that 85% is for email and messaging. Well, I haven't emailed anyone and I have unlimited text and messages. It says that 11% is for apps and web. I have not downloaded any apps on my phone and I have not connected with the web. Not even once. It says that 2% is for downloads and marketplaces. I haven't downloaded anything and I have no idea about marketplaces. It says 1% is for gaming and I do not game nor have I even looked at a game on my phone. It says that 1% is for maps and navigation, when I have not utilized either of those services. It even has me using data at 3 something in the morning when I am sleep. Why is there false data usage for my account? I am not a phone person. I carry only it on the road for emergencies. When I bring it home, I plug it in and leave it. I get maybe two calls per month on that phone, that comes from someone I know. All others, I ignore. I wouldn't even know how to use an app. As for email, I look at the screen to see what email was sent and occasionally have opened one or two but all other emails are opened on my computer, so where did this usage come from?

Another thing...why is is so difficult to have a way to contact Verizon? Initially, I was able to click on Chat, but the person told me I had the wrong department and that I needed to contact technical. From that point, I was never able to use chat again and there was no way to contact anyone in technical. I click on chat and nothing happens. There is no way to email. This was the only way I was able to contact Verizon...THROUGH A COMMUNITY FORUM!!!!!!! I am increasingly becoming dissatisfied with Verizon. I have been a customer for five years, but that may change. If you want to keep your customers, you need to know how to treat them.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Questionable Data Usage On My Phone...

Sr. Leader

Here is my take and advice on this.

First I agree with above that 48 MB is an extremely small amount of data.

You need to understand that just turning on your phone means it is connected to the Internet and remains connected to the Internet the whole time it is on. Your phone will also periodically check in with Verizon home base and exchange a few bits of data back and forth. How do you think your screen tells you that you received email. It is checking your mail server every once in a while and asking if there is any mail. Each time it does that takes a little bit of data. If there is mail, at a minimum the headers and subject is downloaded to the phone, and in many cases the whole email may be downloaded waiting for you to check. Your phone will also periodically report back where it is located, and that may be your maps and navigation use.

As far as reporting in the middle of the night, that time is not time of actual data use, but when the tower the phone is connect reports data for up to the previous 6 hours.

48 MB is less than 1 minute of data use, about 38 seconds worth, actually.

If you do not want to use the Internet at all, you will need to turn of cellular data completely in your settings. Otherwise the phone is designed to use data as described above and for other housekeeping and maintenance features.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Not applicable

48 MB is an extremely tiny amount of data. And the the things they say it was used on is GUIDE and not accurate statement of what was used. It takes 1024 MB to make 1 GB.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Everytime you turn your phone on, turn data on or off, and at random times when data is on Verizon sends and receives small amounts of data and can equal 100MB a month just checking the phone for updates and security checks.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Yes, it's small because I never use anything. But the fact was that there was usage where I didn't use anything, which may be explained by the post from Snn5.

Highlighted

Snn...thanks for the explanation.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Here is my take and advice on this.

First I agree with above that 48 MB is an extremely small amount of data.

You need to understand that just turning on your phone means it is connected to the Internet and remains connected to the Internet the whole time it is on. Your phone will also periodically check in with Verizon home base and exchange a few bits of data back and forth. How do you think your screen tells you that you received email. It is checking your mail server every once in a while and asking if there is any mail. Each time it does that takes a little bit of data. If there is mail, at a minimum the headers and subject is downloaded to the phone, and in many cases the whole email may be downloaded waiting for you to check. Your phone will also periodically report back where it is located, and that may be your maps and navigation use.

As far as reporting in the middle of the night, that time is not time of actual data use, but when the tower the phone is connect reports data for up to the previous 6 hours.

48 MB is less than 1 minute of data use, about 38 seconds worth, actually.

If you do not want to use the Internet at all, you will need to turn of cellular data completely in your settings. Otherwise the phone is designed to use data as described above and for other housekeeping and maintenance features.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you.

0 Likes