Highlighted

Question on why my bill is $100 more

Hello,

I recently travelled to Europe with my wife and we turned off DATA and just used WIFI. Unfortunately, My TravelPass option somehow (not by us) was turned on for about 5 days and I've incurred an extra $100 expense my most current Bill.

I did not turn it on and was wondering how I am forced to pay an extra $100 !!

I appreciate an answer back and a positive solution to this incident. I really don't want to switch carriers but T-Mobile does have an excellent unlimited package. I have been with Verizon for many years.

Thank you,

Ron

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Question on why my bill is $100 more

Sr. Leader

dorronto wrote:

Hello,

I recently travelled to Europe with my wife and we turned off DATA and just used WIFI. Unfortunately, My TravelPass option somehow (not by us) was turned on for about 5 days and I've incurred an extra $100 expense my most current Bill.

I did not turn it on and was wondering how I am forced to pay an extra $100 !!

I appreciate an answer back and a positive solution to this incident. I really don't want to switch carriers but T-Mobile does have an excellent unlimited package. I have been with Verizon for many years.

Thank you,

Ron

It is not just data which can incur the TravelPass daily charge of $10. Accessing the local cellular network via phone calls can also initiate the TravelPass charge.

Have you called CS. Waiting for a CS rep to answer this thread and then having to go thru all of the waiting for a DM from that CS agent, responding to the DM and waiting for another reply will take a LOT longer than simply calling CS about this.

Having used TravelPass in the past, I can verify you are not charged UNLESS you use your phone. That includes calls OR data. What type of phone were you using? If an iPhone and you do not have wifi assist turned OFF, your iPhone can choose to use the cellular network even when using wifi. If this happened, you would be liable for any TravelPass charges to your account. One thing which would have been helpful would to have been to track your cellular usage while abroad. Your phone has an onboard data counter. I don't suppose there is any chance you set up your phone to track your cellular data usage in such a manner. If not, you only have Verizon's data counter to go on and it is possible they have counted data usage from your phone during your trip, however small, and charged the daily TravelPass fee accordingly.

Well, thanks for that explanation but I'm not happy with that answer. No, I haven't called CS but I will. Yes, my LG phone does have an onboard data counter but I never checked. My bad. Live and learn.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

No one likes to see a bill that is $100.00 more than expected Dorronto and would be sad if you left us because of this. Rcschnoor is correct by saying that the Travel Pass does not activate unless there is call/text or data being used. This can be without your knowledge as apps tend to run in the background. We also make sure that you get a text message alerting you that you have enabled Travel Pass and when Travel Pass will expire. You can learn more here:   https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-travel-faqs/ I can review your account to make sure all was set up correctly. I have sent you a Private Message so I can further assist.

AmberF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Covid19