Proration Error When Reducing Data Questions

Recently I reduced my data from 1GB to 500MB.  I was 7 days into a billing cycle.

My verizon online only shows that I only have 396 MB for this cycle.

However my calculation for the proration is as follows,

7 days at $30/month for 1GB = $6.77 for 231MB

24 days at $20/month for 500MB = $15.48 for 396MB

This gives a calculated total of $22.25 for 627MB of data, not just the 396MB.

I pointed this out to the Verizon representative on the phone and they gave me 1024MB of extra data.

Could someone explain what happened to the first week of data that I paid for?  Why was data only 396MB?

I'm sure other people have had that issue also.  Thanks in advance for any clarity that you can provide.  It's really mystifying to me how the initial proration was calculated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Proration Error When Reducing Data Questions

Sr. Leader

When you change data in the middle of the month, it really splits the month into 2 parts.

What you did is this:

For the first 7 days you had 231 MB to use for $6.77. That period closed when you changed data amounts. If you had gone over 231 MB (or if you did go over 231 MB) you will get charged overage fee.

For the next 24 days, you have 396 MB to use for $15.48.

Verizon was correct, your 1024 is a nice bonus, but that is how it works. You are almost always better making changes at the beginning of the next cycle. If you are increasing data, you can also retrospectively add it to the first day of the current cycle. You cannot do this if you are decreasing data though.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

You sure you are looking at the right dates?  Billing date is different from the cycle date.  My billing date is the 2nd of every month but my cycle ends on the 14th of the previous month. So if I do changes I do it on the 14.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

When you change data in the middle of the month, it really splits the month into 2 parts.

What you did is this:

For the first 7 days you had 231 MB to use for $6.77. That period closed when you changed data amounts. If you had gone over 231 MB (or if you did go over 231 MB) you will get charged overage fee.

For the next 24 days, you have 396 MB to use for $15.48.

Verizon was correct, your 1024 is a nice bonus, but that is how it works. You are almost always better making changes at the beginning of the next cycle. If you are increasing data, you can also retrospectively add it to the first day of the current cycle. You cannot do this if you are decreasing data though.

View solution in original post

Covid19