Problems with Verizon honoring the buy one get one deal we were promised

JHolloway5150

In April 2019 my wife and I went to Best Buy looking for a first phone for our teenage son.  The Verizon representative at the store pointed out the buy one get one free iPhone deal that was in place at the time.  We decided to take advantage of the deal with my wife getting a new XS, myself getting a new XR, and my son getting one of our old iPhone 6’s and a new line to go with that.   The BOGO deal was the only reason we decided to get new phones.  After a couple of months we were not seeing the expected credits on our bill for my XR iPhone..  My wife contacted Verizon via chat help, explained the issue, was again told we were eligible for the promotion, and that the issue would be corrected. 

Yesterday (10/21/2019) we realized we still weren’t getting the proper credit for my phone.  My wife initiated another chat, but this time the representative claimed we weren’t eligible for the promotion because the new line wasn’t attached to either of the brand new phones.  That stipulation was never made clear to us, and I’ll reiterate that we would never have bought the new phones (and corresponding contracts) without the promised BOGO opportunity.  The representative claimed she would elevate our issue to the next level and we would hear back from Verizon in 3-5 days.  At this point I don’t have high hopes for satisfactory resolution through that avenue so I’m hoping perhaps someone on these boards can offer advice or suggestions. 

We are both long time (and loyal) Verizon customers and this is leaving a very bad taste in our mouths.  At this point can we return both phones and get the money we’ve already spent back?  (And then obviously switch to another carrier).  That would be a huge inconvenience. 

0 Likes

Re: Problems with Verizon honoring the buy one get one deal we were promised

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

@JHolloway5150 wrote:

In April 2019 my wife and I went to Best Buy looking for a first phone for our teenage son.  The Verizon representative at the store pointed out the buy one get one free iPhone deal that was in place at the time.  We decided to take advantage of the deal with my wife getting a new XS, myself getting a new XR, and my son getting one of our old iPhone 6’s and a new line to go with that.   The BOGO deal was the only reason we decided to get new phones.  After a couple of months we were not seeing the expected credits on our bill for my XR iPhone..  My wife contacted Verizon via chat help, explained the issue, was again told we were eligible for the promotion, and that the issue would be corrected. 

Yesterday (10/21/2019) we realized we still weren’t getting the proper credit for my phone.  My wife initiated another chat, but this time the representative claimed we weren’t eligible for the promotion because the new line wasn’t attached to either of the brand new phones.  That stipulation was never made clear to us, and I’ll reiterate that we would never have bought the new phones (and corresponding contracts) without the promised BOGO opportunity.  The representative claimed she would elevate our issue to the next level and we would hear back from Verizon in 3-5 days.  At this point I don’t have high hopes for satisfactory resolution through that avenue so I’m hoping perhaps someone on these boards can offer advice or suggestions. 

I marked the relevant part of your post in underline and italic.  Verizon will honor BOGO deals when the customer meets requirements.  You did not
The buy one get one deals require that you purchase a phone on the new line and that phone and line get the credits.   You could have swapped the Sim cards after you made the purchase in the correct manner, to put the new phone on your wife's line and the old iPhone on the new line

you cannot return the phones six months after purchase. The return period is 14 days, which is universal among all cell phone carriers.  
   These phone promotions are not to save you money on your upgrades. They are to add new lines, or steal customers from other carriers, tie them to Verizon for two years, to make a profit.

If Verizon gives you any credit, it is a goodwill gesture on their part.  Please thank them for making an exception in your case.   You did not follow the promotion and are not owed any credits.

I would suggest you take a look at the offers on the current phone sales pages. You will notice that all of the phone deals require that the phone be purchased on a brand new line. 

JHolloway5150

Yes, they do owe me a credit.  We were sold two phones on the promise of getting one free.   No mention was made of the new line being attached to the new phones when we purchased them.  It's not up to me to review their business model and come the conclusion that the deal I was promised wasn't true.  I shouldn't have to bring a lawyer with me to buy a new phone.  

Look, I know you're looking for a way to feel important, and to try and put down others at the same time, but perhaps you could find a more productive hobby for your spare time besides scanning these forums looking for opportunities to show how smarter you are.  

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

@JHolloway5150 wrote:

Yes, they do owe me a credit.  We were sold two phones on the promise of getting one free.   No mention was made of the new line being attached to the new phones when we purchased them.  It's not up to me to review their business model and come the conclusion that the deal I was promised wasn't true.  I shouldn't have to bring a lawyer with me to buy a new phone.  
   Reading the offer woukd have been enough.  Every carrier, every offer has these same basic requirements.  

Look, I know you're looking for a way to feel important, and to try and put down others at the same time, but perhaps you could find a more productive hobby for your spare time besides scanning these forums looking for opportunities to show how smarter you are.  
    Wow.  I can READ.  It's such a challenge

And that's not the deal offered and not good enough to get the BOGO, or you would be getting credits.   
,Has zero to do with my ego, and everything to do with EVERY offer published on the website. They aren't open to interpretation, as they are applied by a computer, much like buy one sales at the grocery store.  The computer didn't see you meet the requirements, and therefore didn't apply credits.   
You stating after the fact that you meant to do it different, or the salesperson messed up up, is all you have going for you.  It's up to someone at Verizon to decide if they extend goodwill, or deny the request.

Community Manager
Community Manager

JHolloway5150,

Verizon Wireless does commit to delivering the best products and services with customer service being the priority. Operating with integrity is at the core of who we are as a company and it does concern us to hear you feel this way. We do like to operate with integrity and it does concern us to hear you feel this way about us lately. We would love to clear up any confusion regarding your plan or services and work towards getting a resolution for you. Did you ever receive a response back from the most recent escalation about this matter?

CandiceH_VZW

0 Likes

JHolloway5150

Well, I don't have any confusion that you need to clear up.  Your agent sold us a buy one get one free offer and so far you have failed to honor it.  

As long time customers my wife and I also felt that Verizon offered good service and operated with integrity.   But apparently we were not told the truth when the phones were sold to us, nor were we told the truth when we checked back early summer and were told the issue would be corrected.  The agent my wife chatted with earlier this week also felt certain that once our case was reviewed by higher ups the promo we're due would finally be granted.  And no, we haven't heard back on that support ticket yet.  Even if they come back and tell us problem has been resolved I will have little confidence that Verizon will honor that commitment either.  

Another member pointed out that your systems are programmed to only apply the promotion if all the correct terms are met.  I've seen other similar threads with people saying you should always order your phones and plans online to avoid these kinds of problems.  Well, the Verizon agent who sold us the phones certainly entered the transaction on your own systems.  Did he do so knowing it was not actually valid, but wanted to get his sale, and figured it wouldn't be his problem six months down the line?  Like I said above, we had trust in Verizon when we walked into the store.  Less so now.

0 Likes

JHolloway5150

The chat my wife initiated with Verizon support was on Monday 10/21.  We were told that we'd hear back on a decision in 3-5 days.  As of today (Wednesday 10/30) it's been 9 days and we still haven't gotten a response.  

Can you help please?  

0 Likes

deloused

That's a negative, you didn't meet the requirements for the promotion, after review, you still didn't. 

0 Likes

Akhurst

We are having the SAME issue. BOGO Iphone XR. Its not your fault the person setting up account set it up wrong. Same in my case, the online person set up wrong and now they dont want to honor it cause the deal is passed. They are reviewing the Chat that set it all up, but its looking like they are also refusing to honor something for us too. Ive lost trust. We have also been with Verizon over 20 years. 

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We apologize to hear that you feel this way. Our goal is to provide the assistance you need and deserve. Please meet us in a Private Note for assistance. AlbertP_VZW

0 Likes