Possible Phishing attempt

LORLAB48

I want to warn everyone and possibly let Verizon know of a possible phishing campaign. I recently got a very legit looking email with the subject "We've Completed Your Request to De-enroll from Auto Pay". I did not click any links in the email, but upon logging into MyVerizon, I found that (1) auto-pay is still enabled and scheduled, (2) the account number referenced in the email is in fact mine, (3) My account hadn't been logged into for more than two weeks, (4) the email never references my name or phone number, and (5) the email header's "from" field appears as an address from which I have received legitimate emails in the past (eAccountNotify at verizonwireless dot com)

This tells me that either Verizon sent the email out in error, or there has been a leak of data that includes account numbers and emails, allowing for  sophisticated, targeted attacks, probably to steal financial account information. This should serve as a PSA to everyone to stay vigilant.

Labels (1)

Re: Possible Phishing attempt

jav6

Suspected phishing or problem emails should be forwarded, along with the message header, to phishing@verizonwireless.com. Take a look at Fraud FAQs | Verizon Wireless

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes

vocabularity

I received what sounds like an identical email early this morning.  Like you, I didn't click links in the message but I did log in to my account and also like you, my auto-pay is still turned on.

When I first found this post, Joe's link to Fraud FAQs was bad, and clicking on any of the FAQ categories produced the same result ("Oops, we can't find that page.") 

I've been waiting forever for one of their "skilled Chat Representatives" :rolleyes:  Decided to give up and just forward to the phishing email account but decided to try the FAQ pages again - the're back up.  So hopefully whatever was going on has been addressed, but I'm changing my PIN & PW just in case.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

Were you signed into the community forum or your MyVerizon account online when you clicked the link? It worked for me.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

LORLAB48 wrote:

(4) the email never references my name or phone number, and (5) the email header's "from" field appears as an address from which I have received legitimate emails in the past (eAccountNotify at verizonwireless dot com)

This tells me that either Verizon sent the email out in error, or there has been a leak of data that includes account numbers and emails, allowing for sophisticated, targeted attacks, probably to steal financial account information. This should serve as a PSA to everyone to stay vigilant.

I don't understand why you think there was a leak of data that "includes account numbers and emails" when you stated your account number was never referenced. That would lead me to believe such a leak DIDN'T happen, otherwise your account number WOULD have been referenced. This sounds more like a mass emailing sent out to thousands of emails in an attempt to gather information.

0 Likes

mousehouse

I received the same email for both of my Verizon Accounts.  They did have my correct account numbers on both the emails.  Like you I check on verizonwireless and neither one of the account for auto pay had been changed. 

0 Likes

vocabularity

Not sure but I neglected to mention that after the initial difficulty I was able to access those FAQ pages.

0 Likes
Highlighted

vocabularity

If you read closely you'll see that the OP wrote:

"(2) the account number referenced in the email is in fact mine".

0 Likes