Porting phone number to new service provider

wondergerb

After a lot of frustration over the past couple of days I am finally done and want to port my number over to a new provider (in two weeks, as I don't want to pay the early termination fee and give them any more money than I absolutely have to). Here is my situation. I am currently on my parents' plan. They went into the verizon store and gave permission for me to move my number (at the time to my own contract with Verizon before I decided I have had enough with this company). I am moving out of state and so they will be unable to be physically present when I switch my phone (hence why I tried to do this already). Therefore what do I have to do to port out my number to a new provider and will I have any problems since I am not the account owner?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes

Re: Porting phone number to new service provider

Snn5
Sr. Leader

So, are you under your parent's plan or on your own contract?  When you port, to take your number with you, you will have to be the owner of that line.,  Assumption of Liabilities can be done over the phone.  HOWEVER, you may or may not want a new number if moving to a new area code.  If that's the case, then do nothing, let the contract end, cancel the line with no ETF, and go to a new carrier for a new phone and number.

wondergerb

Yes, of course the easiest solution would be to get a new number and phone, but with all of my professional contacts having this number it is nearly impossible to change at this point. I am currently on my parents' plan. I did not want to switch to my own plan for the next two weeks if I'm simply going to take my number to a new company. The representative when I went into the store confirmed that after having them present and giving their information then I would not have to have them do anything further in terms of switching to a new contract. So you are saying that even though they took that information in the store I will still need to do an assumption of liabilities in order to port over my number? So does that mean that I will have to first get my own account with Verizon and then switch? Thanks!

0 Likes

Snn5
Sr. Leader

You can't port a number that isn't yours.  You have to have that number in your own name before you can port it.

0 Likes

wondergerb

Thank you for your help. I now see how they manage to keep so many customers.

0 Likes

pherson
Leader

AActually that's incorrect. As long as the person porting the number is listed as an account manager on the account and knows the password a number can be ported. It's been done plenty upon plenty of times and I have done it myself.

Snn5
Sr. Leader

I suppose I can see that working.  Just thought that a number assigned to an account could not be ported.  Maybe I was thinking along the idea that a number could not be ported under contract, be it an account owner or manager.

0 Likes

pherson
Leader

DDoesn't matter if it's 5 days of 5 years you can port. Even under contract. Just means that you will have an etf if under contract, or the edge balance if not paid off.

0 Likes

Snn5
Sr. Leader

Well yeah, anytime you cut service under contract there is an ETF, but I was trying to figure the rules for who owns a phone number...the account owner or who, and can it just be transferred to someone else without an AOL.  Sounded like to me that OP was trying to take an out of contract number to another carrier, but in my mind, how can you take a number that is under another account owner?

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager
I'm saddened to learn you are looking to port out your number, wondergerb. What's going on? In order to submit a port request, you would need to be listed as an authorized user on the account. http://vz.to/1iZAtkD

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes