Poor billing practices

EdSybesma

I recently purchased a new iPhone through Verizon.  Although I was ultimately charged the proper amounts, the manner in which the charges went through created significant problems for me, resulting in the cancellation of a credit card which did not need to be canceled.  The base price was added to my monthly bill as 24 monthly payments but there were some other charges (taxes and fees) which were charged to me separately.  Unfortunately, they were not charged on my regular bill, but on a separate charge that went through.  That was not explained to me when the purchase was made (or at least not clearly).  I never received an invoice which explained that.  All of this I have figured out after the fact only by careful study. The charge came through from a different source than the normal Verizon charges.  When it came through, I went to My Verizon online and checked all of my charges.  There was nothing listed to show that charge.  Because I did cancel my credit card and the card charge was disallowed, the item showed up in my next regular monthly bill.  (I would've expected that in the first place rather than some other charge which came through on my credit card without invoice or billing.)

Even when the charge came through on my regular monthly billing, it was with a very terse and nearly indecipherable description.

Needless to say, canceling my credit card and changing my card number with numerous effort merchants resulted in a terrible waste of time.

And, finally, one last complaint: nowhere on the Verizon website is there any method of making contact through e-mail, which is why I came to this forum to lodge my concerns.  Maybe this was a better place anyway?

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Poor billing practices

EdSybesma

… This is a continuation of my earlier message.  Even when the charge came through on my regular monthly billing, it was with a very terse and nearly indecipherable description.

Needless to say, canceling my credit card and changing my card number with numerous effort merchants resulted in a terrible waste of time.

And, finally, one last complaint: nowhere on the Verizon website is there any method of making contact through e-mail, which is why I came to this forum to lodge my concerns.  Maybe this was a better place anyway?

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

Correct, there isn't an email address for VZW customer service. You can send a letter to the correspondence address listed under the Contact Us link at the top of every Verizon Wireless web page.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

Verizon Employee

ED SYBESMA, I know how confusing the billing can be sometimes. However, we never want you to feel this way. Anytime you purchase a phone on device payments the state sales taxes are paid upfront unless you are in one of the 5 states where the sales taxes are included in the bill each month instead. Verizon does not mandate the state sales tax. Your state and local governments decide how they will be billed, not Verizon. I do agree that it should have been explained upfront that you would need to pay the sales tax at check out. Our intent is never to make the billing difficult to understand. I have provided a link below with some information about the tax and surcharges. I hope this provides clarity for you.

Taxes and Surcharges Estimator | Verizon Wireless

DiaS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

EdSybesma

Dias,

Thank you for your response.

Please understand that I am not complaining about having paid sales tax.  I certainly expected that.

Note, however, that one of the charges was a $30 Verizon charge, not a tax.

What I did not expect was the following:

1. To have my credit card charged in any manner other than through my monthly billing statement, which is the only automatic charge I have ever authorized.
  2. To have anything charged against my credit card that hasn't previously been invoiced to me.

The reply which I was hoping for and still hope to receive would say something like the following:

This concern has been escalated to the customer service department.  Changes are being made to ensure that future charges will not be made against your credit card on file other than a reasonable time after the charge has been invoiced to you.  Future charges will not be made against your credit card other than as part of your regular monthly billing unless expressly agreed and invoiced to you both electronically and by US mail a reasonable time prior to the credit card charge.

Is there any chance of getting a response like that?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

The $30 fee was the upgrade fee or an activation fee if it is a new line. The upgrade fee has been charged since April 2012.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes