Highlighted

Please be perfect because if you are not, Verizon will screw you

jpollhein

So....heading to Canada like i have done for business many times...and I decide to quickly go online and add the US and Canada plan to my account coverage.  I carried this for years while working in Canada.  I apparently hit the Global Data  button instead of adding the US/Canada plan.

When I returned to the US and got my bill, Verizon charged me $1100 for using my cell in Canada!!!  Thinking this must be a mistake, I called and was informed that since I selected to wrong service on their site.  Even though I explained to numerous unconcerned people that the change in my account indicated I mistakenly selected the wrong option, the best they could do was give me a 20% credit...So I still owed over $800 for my mistake?!?!!!  No matter who I talked to, they thought this was a fair response.

Second mistake:  I thought I had turned off my automatic payment from the bank.  So I went online and paid my bill at the Verizon site.  Unfortunately, a few days later, my bank paid the same bill.  So I call Verizon on what seems to be a simple problem:  Please give me back my money.  They were happy to take my request....and tell me it would be up to 10 business days before it was resolved.  I asked for it to be expedited.  "Sorry, there's no way for us to do that."

WHAT?!?  I am not severely overdrawn, used all of my available overdraft to cover it, and they can't even put a rush on the request.

After working my way through the BS, I finally found a supervisor (whose direct report told me she could do nothing to help me) who told me to send a copy of my bank statement showing the check was paid from my account, and then they could release the standard 10-day "let's wait and make sure WE get our money BEFORE we service our customer" hold.

This amounts to a few things for me:

1.  Be perfect.  if you make the mistakes I did, you're screwed and Verizon's policies absolve them of any reasonable actions to help you.

2.  Do not modify your account by yourself with their handy-dandy website tools.  If you make a mistake, you're screwed.  Call them and make them make the changes you want.  And get the name of the person you speak with.  And, I would also recommend, record the conversation...just as they do "for training purposes."

3.  Do not expect that having an account with them for 10+ years and having five lines on the account means anything at all.  They do not care if you are a loyal customer...especially when you make a mistake.

I am actively seeking another carrier...the choices are so numerous and so much cheaper why wouldn't I.  The sad part is I would not even be thinking about it were it not for a total lack of concern when the chips are down.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Please be perfect because if you are not, Verizon will screw you

Weth
Sr. Leader

I Have much more success doing my own changes online with immediate confirmation Than I do by verbal agreements with CSR.  These forums are filled more with errors from verbal changes on the phone than online. 

Recording without telling the other other party is recording is illegal in many jurisdictions.  Even then, we have many examples of where calling in protects you no more than doing it online.  Loyalty is for friends and family.   It is just a business agreement with Verizon. 

You you do not need to be perfect, just careful. 

It comes down that we are responsible for our own actions. Everyone has had that expensive learning mistake.  

Verizon is is not an accommodating company like Apple or Costco, that is for sure. Voting wth your money is the only way they would change.  

jpollhein

Absolutely agree on being accountable for my own actions...that's why I indicated these were my mistakes.  As for recording a phone call, it is not illegal to document a discussion that is already being recorded by the other party.

So then your premise is that businesses should have no loyalty to their customers?  Just asking... 

Just as respect is earned, so must loyalty.   The businesses that get that and go out of their way to earn your loyalty are, sadly, the exception, not the rule.

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

I am not a lawyer, but I understood you still had to announce you were recording, just as the other party does.   I would to be proven wrong on that. 

A great business builds the feeling of loyalty in its customers. And yes, they are the exception unfortunately.  I've had success dealing with Verizon only because I realize they are not looking out for me one bit. I deal with them as little as possible and research in detail before any change.  I never make an on the fly change with them.  Very different than Costco, where I will buy things on the spur of the moment knowing I will be taken care of if the product does not work out for me. 

Know your foes so to speak. 

Snn5
Sr. Leader

I'm not entirely sure that you are right or wrong on the phone recording issue.  As soon as I hear the Verizon message state that "This call may be monitored or recorded for quality and training purposes" I flip my recorder on.  I always tell Verizon that our call is either being recorded likewise or that it might be monitored by other ears.  I do this at the get go so that names are recorded and I hear their response.  A lot of the times the reps, some who work in a call center and some who work from home, some surrounded by screamin younguns and barking dogs and cats fighting....they will flat out refuse and say that THEY don't record the calls, that someone at Verizon does, and if you want to get a copy of the recording that there is a number to call, "I'll get that number for you, one moment........::click.::"  Some say, "Don't tell em you're recording since they told you the call is already."  The recordings says "MAY" which isn't a guarantee that it is.  Best to be upfront since, if the rep[ knows their stuff, they might not mind as much and there's nothing like trying to use in-admissible evidence.

daonys
Novice

Going by your logic, anyone who makes a mistake shouldn't be held accountable. You did make the change, you messed up (admittedly) and they did give you a 20% credit towards what you rmistake cost you. They didn't have to but did. If you make the same mistake with another carrier, you'd be liable for those charges too. Loyalty is just a word people throw around when they feel they are owed something that they aren't and get crabby when they don't get it.

sprmankalel
Leader

Verizon does not know what you're intention was when you added the features to your account. They didn't make the mistake and therefore do not have to work with you to lower the charges. Anything that they do will be a courtesy and that is it.

0 Likes

jpollhein

Actually, this is not about being accountable.  I openly admit it was my mistake.  All I was looking for was a reasonable, considerate answer.  When it is obvious the customer tried to do the right thing by their own records, a customer-focused organization would give credence to that and adjust the bill accordingly.  It's like taking something that doesn't belong to you.  Had I hit the right button, it would have cost $25.  Because I hit the wrong button, it cost $1000.  There is no reasonableness there.

Guess I'm just bein crabby....

0 Likes

jpollhein

Actually they agreed the could see I made the change right when i went to Canada and it was obvious it was the wrong choice....but too bad, so sad.

I guess I'm just being unreasonable and should gladly pay the $1000.  Such a courtesy for them to provide a service that should have cost $25 for the bargain price of $1000!  Lucky me!

0 Likes

sprmankalel
Leader

So when I went to Europe I should have just racked up charges then called and had them adjust the bill? What sense does that make? Especially after the bill posts. They can't adjust the feature for a closed bill. I didn't say you should gladly pay it but by using the device outside of the VZW network you agreed to pay all charges.

0 Likes