Not receiving certain texts when I use texting apps other than Verizon Messages+

ChaseBC127

I recently decided to switch away from the Verizon Messages+ app (that's a separate discussion), but I've noticed that I'm periodically not receiving texts.  I've tried out several different texting apps and they all have this issue.  I'm pretty sure it happens mostly when I'm on WiFi.

I've also had issues where I've tried to send a text, but it fails repeatedly.  It only happens occasionally, but whenever it does, it happens when I'm on WiFi.  So in an effort to troubleshoot, I've turned off WiFi, then tried to re-send and it works just fine.

When I've discovered I was missing texts, I went to vtext.com and sure enough, all my missing texts were on there.  I also launched the Verizon Messages+ app and they're all on there too.

It's just really frustrating because it seems like Verizon is trying to force me to use their texting app, which I really don't want to.  And like I mentioned, I've tried about 3 different texting apps and they are all having this same issue, which makes me very curious.  It's odd that Verizon's app/web texting service would receive all my texts, but any other texting app periodically does not receive certain texts.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?  Are there any known fixes?  It's extremely frustrating.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Not receiving certain texts when I use texting apps other than Verizon Messages+

Ann154
Expert

Have you disabled the Verizon Messages application on the phone? Have you disconnected the integrated messaging from the other devices? Have you set the other application you are trying as the default messaging application in the phone settings?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

Re: Not receiving certain texts when I use texting apps other than Verizon Messages+

ChaseBC127

Yes, I've disabled Verizon Message+.  I dont have the integrated service on any other device (it's just on vtext.com).  Yes, Textra is set as my default texting app.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ChaseBC127 I personally know how important it is to receive your text messages. Lets dig a little deeper. What zip code are you located in? Do you know if any other Verizon customers in your area experience this texting issue?

JoelD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

CHAOLI95

I'm having the what appears to be same problem. I have a Samsung S8. The Integrated Messaging feature is on. I have the Verizon Messages app installed on my work and home desktops. Frequently I get a phone call because I have not responded to an important text that I never received on the S8--I subsequently open my Windows app and the missing text downloads. I have tried multiple approaches to find a solution for the issue on my phone--force stop/clear data/re-install/use other texting apps. But the intermittent problem continues. Of note, when I clear data and re-install, all the messages that I thought I cleared are immediately there--there is no re-syncing occurring. Obviously the message is on the Verizon servers since to shows up on my Windows app  when I open the app days after it was originally sent. However, I can't get the messages to show on my phone. I guess a related issue--if I send a text from Windows Messages, it does not sync with my phone.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

CHAOLI95, we want to make sure you are receiving all of your important messages. We will look into this for you. When did this problem start? Let's make sure the software is up to date on your phone. Follow this link for instructions: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s8-update/

RalphT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

Joeyvegas

I had the exact same problems described above and it was never resolved. I now have to use the Message+ app only, otherwise I will inevitably miss text messages.  I was using Textra and would like to use this app again in the future..  I had several conversations with Verizon reps who kept telling me it was the application I was using.  Has this issue been resolved with a recent update???

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Let's get to the bottom of your messaging concern once and for all. When did the problem begin? Does the issue occur with all or specific contacts? What happens when you try a different 3rd party application? 

AyaniB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Joeyvegas

I became aware of the problem in mid-2017?  I immediately called Verizon customer support, so you could look up my customer support history to find the exact date.  The issue occurred with several different contacts, but I was first made aware by my wife, who asked why I did not respond to a text message that she sent me.  It has occurred several times with my wife and other contacts using Textra.   I contacted both the customer support at Textra and Verizon.  I did not try a different 3rd party application as Textra is 1 of the leading messaging applications out on the market.  Doing a Google search, you can see that there are others having the same issue.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for these important details. Have you tried removing the contact and re-adding it? Does the issue happen with the same contacts everytime?

StephanieS_VZW

0 Likes