Highlighted

Re: No company discount

Sr. Leader

osucowboy96 wrote:

Back on topic to the employee discount, I'll give my situation for a specific example of why this is bad (at least for me). I currently have the 8GB plan which is priced at $70. My discount gives me 25% off (the largest employee discount I'm aware of), saving me $17.50 making my plan (data only) $52.50. Now let's look at if I upgrade to unlimited.

Instead of my data bill going from $70 to $110 (the typical non-discounted customer), for an increase of $40, my bill will go from $52.50 to $110, an increase of $57.50. That's a big difference from my pocketbook.

Now if they offered the discount, comparing it to current discounts, I would save $27.50 instead of $17.50, making my current $52.50 go up to $72.50. Not a small hit for Verizon, but not as big as the hit I'd take, either. Their still making an extra $20/mo off of me for upgrading.

Yes, your price would go up, but you would also be going from an 8 GB plan to a plan which could easily use 5x-10x more data. You should EXPECT to pay more. Paying about double for 5x-10x more data does not seem all that unreasonable. As you have stated, you have an 8 GB data plan. Verizon STILL has that plan, you do not need to leave it. You could have increased your data allowance in the past WITH your discount IF you needed more data. You chose not to do so. It doesn't appear not having unlimited data will be such a burden on you, otherwise you would have increased your data allowance in the past. I have a 15 GB data allowance(of which I use 9-11 GB/month) for $100. While I don't have as large of a discount as you do(22%), my discount brings my monthly data cost down to $78. I have no plans to switch to unlimited data because I don't need unlimited data. 15 GB is plenty of data for me. If I needed more data, I would have increased my allowance in the past when there were better deals out there(30 GB for $130/month a few years ago which would have been $101.40/month with my discount)

Let's also compare the largest discount Verizon has EVER offered on unlimited data. Previously, Verizon only offered a discount to a max of 1 unlimited data plan on an account. If you had more than 1 line on your account with unlimited data, those additional lines paid the FULL amount for data, NO DISCOUNT. With your discount of 25% on the current grandfathered unlimited data price of $50, that would be a max of $12.50 discount on 1 line only. I can't imagine Verizon would want to NOW go ahead and give you a $27.50 discount when the LARGEST discount they have EVER given on unlimited data was less than half of that.

I agree it would be nice for Verizon to offer the discount on unlimited data. I can certainly understand why they are hesitant to do so. I would think they may indeed offer it in the future if/when they change the discount amounts to reflect better how the pricing structure has changed from what it was in the past.

Highlighted

It didn't work out for me, and I didn't switch. All I'm saying is that if enough people request a feature (as in any other field or with any other business), the request might be considered. What is the harm in that? I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that. I'm not whining or complaining, just voicing my opinion. I can guarantee that if they offered the discount on the unlimited plan, I would take it, thus making them more money and saving me more in the process. I'm sure it doesn't cost them much more, if any, for me to have unlimited data.

0 Likes
Highlighted

All valid points, and I don't disagree with any. The point I'm simply trying to make is that it doesn't hurt to voice your opinion on something, other than having other people disagree with you on a message board. True, I can live without the unlimited data, but it would be worth an extra $20/mo just for peace of mind that my teenage daughter won't blow through all our data and kick us into safety mode Smiley Happy (how does that hurt Verizon?). It is not, however, worth another $60/mo. I am not the typical person going to unlimited, however, as my usage probably would not increase that much, hence I will stick with my current plan.

I appreciate everyone's input on this, and the passion you have for your side of it. Just realize that other's have opinions as well, and just because they may differ from yours doesn't make them wrong or right, just different.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Unfortunately, I suspect if they did start to allow the company discounts then the cost of the plan will increase. Then where would you be?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

Thanks everyone for your input and responses to my original question about the company discount. This is my first few months with Verizon. I have had service with two other major carriers (Sprint and Tmobile) and they gave my company discounts with thier unlimited plans but I have to admit the service was not good. Too many dropped calls and no bars. Sprint has been passing out fliers at work lately promoting the 25% company discount with thier unlimited plan. So it prompted me to ask the question.

0 Likes