Highlighted

Nightmare with returning a phone

JAMBRO77

I am really at a loss as what I can do to end this nightmare.  I purchased a refurbished iphone for my elderly mother in October 2017. She passed away May 10, 2018.  I contacted Verizon and was told that I could turn her phone back in and I would be credited for the remaining $190 plus that I still owed on the phone when they received it back. Whoever I talked to that day said they would disable her phone.  They did not.  Weeks later I logged into my account and suspended service myself when I discovered it had not been done.

On July 13, 2018 I turned her phone in at a local store. This took over an hour, the employee obviously did not know what he was doing.  I have since found out that her phone was received at the Verizon warehouse on July 20th -they have her phone in their possession.

Instead of our bill being credited the $190 plus we were instead billed for a "buyout".  I have been around and around with so many but the names I can remember are Kayla, Charlie, Riley...they tell me this will be "escalated" and apologize but nothing is ever done!

Our bill was due August 25th so I deducted the $198 "buyout" charge from it and paid that amount.  I received a text message from Verizon telling me my bill is past due. I received an email today telling me it's past due. I log into my account tonight and still nothing has been done.  Our bill is still showing $198 past due and now there is a late fee on next month's bill.  Crazy!

I am at a loss as what to do.  I call but it takes forever to talk to someone, I online chat through their website and am always reassured it will be corrected ...BUT IT NEVER IS.

I am trying my best to protect my credit rating. I just want this bill fixed, get the credit for mom's iphone and move away from this company as fast as I possibly can.  7 weeks I've been dealing with this.

What else is there for me to do?  Contact an Attorney? file a BBB Complaint?  Suggestions on how to end the insanity?

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Nightmare with returning a phone

Community Manager
Community Manager

We know how important it is to make sure everything gets settled, and we never want to feel this way, JAMBRO77. I have sent you a Private Message regarding this matter.

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes

missy4022000

I keep getting told ours would be handled also and it never was that's why

we switched carriers Verizon I have noticed does not keep their word.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

You can't return a phone after the return policy period has expired. You could trade-in the phone, but you needed to pay the remaining balance of the device payment agreement first.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

JAMBRO77

Are you responding to me Ann154?  My mother is deceased.  I called Verizon and they told me to turn the phone into my local store. If I am going to pay the remaining balance on the phone then I WANT THE PHONE BACK!  I'm not paying for something I do not have. 

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

I was repeating the terms of the return policy. It isn't my fault the customer service representative was not educated on the policy. Return Policy & Early Termination Fee | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

JAMBRO77

I don't see how the "Return" Policy can apply to the deceased.

I called Verizon Customer Service to see what my options were when mother passed.  I was told to take her phone and death certificate to my local store.  The dummy working at the store just did not know what he was doing. I was there waiting for an hour as numerous employees had to help him. Every customer service person I have talked to since then has never once told me anything about this policy you reference.  Every single one (Kayla, Charlie, Riley, Kyle...) has apologized. Kayla created a ticket but failed to escalate it.  Charlie said he couldn't see any notes (don't think Charlie wanted to work that day), Riley said Kayla filled out all the forms but failed to escalate it so she scalated it ---2 weeks ago. After 2 weeks I called and spoke to Kyle and the call dropped. Received a text message that he would call me back in a few moments and that was last Friday.  Around and round I go.

I have had to finalize things with the funeral home, cemetery, headstone, nursing home, medicare and social security.  All, including the government agencies mind you, have been taking care of and is over and done. 

I need this resolved ASAP!

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

JAMBRO77, first and foremost, our sincere condolences to your and your family at this time. I know it's a difficult situation to be in and we want to make it as seamless as possible. Let me clarify the process for you. If a deceased person's phone is still on Device Payments we do ask that it be returned, so we can stop the device payments and they no longer have to pay them. You do not have to return it. You can keep it and then be billed out for the remaining cost of the phone on the next bill.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

Is this policy available in writing either in the Customer Agreement or another document?

0 Likes