Highlighted

New unlimited plan ... misleading marketing

$45 per line/4 lines (per month plus taxes and fees)

That is the banner headline advertising the new plan.

It just so happens my family has 4 phones (plus a tablet on payments) currently costing ~$270/month.
So, 4 lines x $45 = $180 (plus the tablet) seemed like we were going to get to lower our costs.

Got through the steps and then saw the new plan cost - $275/month.
How could this be ...?

VZW did NOT include in the fine print ... plus taxes, fees ... and standard line access costs.
Oh, was that what they meant by "fees"?

I've spoken highly of VZW over my 10+ years of being a customer, but this was flat out misleading.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: New unlimited plan ... misleading marketing

Sr. Leader

4 lines and a tablet on the new Verizon Plan

$110 for the account plan ($100 with autopay- we will use autopay since that is how they get the $85/line for 4 devices)

Each device is $20 - 5 devices

$100 + $100 = $200 plus taxes and fees --- that includes the line access costs.

With 5 lines you are actually getting it for $40 per line!!!

fees are not access fees in the taxes and fees statement. Things like regulatory fees.

Unless you still have lines under a contract - then that will be different. Contract lines have an access fee of $40 not $20 until the contract is complete -is that the case with you?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Well, Weth, apparently you did find the missing link.

Three of our phones are indeed under contract.

I still maintain the $20/$40 split access fee is misleading.

1) If you look at the Unlimited Plan advertising the only "special" feature requirement is signing up for Auto-Pay (to get that $10/mo discount);

2) I wasn't even told about the $40/mo smartphone access premium until I was well into the process of upgrading off-contract phones. In that context, it is rather a bait and switch, more so than the per line "activation charge" that too often gets slid in during phone upgrades. (Whether new or upgraded, most activation is automated, with the customer calling or entering information online. What is the charge based upon?)

The +$20/mo access for contract smartphones is basically a punishment for the customer not falling in line and paying full price via the EDGE program. $20 x 24 months = $480 which means VZW essentially gets the full price for the phone anyway, but hidden in an "access fee" instead of out front as a installment payment.

VZW Unlimited.PNG

Show me where the asterisk is that leads to fine print saying "Smartphones under contract are not eligible and will continue to pay their hidden purchase price installments of an additional $20/mo".

0 Likes
Highlighted

I currently receive a 28% discount through my work.  Verizon also fails to mention that if you switch to the unlimited plan you lose any discounts.  i'll stay on my old tiered plan and keep my discount. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Dr_H wrote:

The +$20/mo access for contract smartphones is basically a punishment for the customer not falling in line and paying full price via the EDGE program. $20 x 24 months = $480 which means VZW essentially gets the full price for the phone anyway, but hidden in an "access fee" instead of out front as a installment payment.

Yes, it is a "punishment" just as much as it is a "punishment" to pay full price for your phone. You ALWAYS pay "full price" for your phone. You simply choose how you want to pay that "full price".

If you chose to purchase a "discounted" phone in exchange for signing a 2 yr service contract, you pay a $40 line access fee for the duration of your contract. That is a ~$400+ discount on your phone and a $480 increase in line access fees. For what it is worth, Verizon no longer offers this form of purchase for almost all accounts.

If you chose to purchase a phone at "full price" either up front or on payments, you will pay a $20 line access fee for however long you stay a customer of Verizon. If you stay a full 2 yrs, you will receive an equivalent discount of $480 off the price of your phone.

You end up paying MORE if you go the "discounted" phone and 2 yr service contract route and many, including Verizon, have been trying to point this out for quite some time. It is not a "punishment", but an "incentive" to purchase the phone in a different manner.

Dr_H wrote:

Show me where the asterisk is that leads to fine print saying "Smartphones under contract are not eligible and will continue to pay their hidden purchase price installments of an additional $20/mo".

#3 from the Verizon Unlimited Data Plan faq.

Of course if you simply go thru life without reading past the headlines, you will end up in many more situations such as this.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

MISLIN89 wrote:

I currently receive a 28% discount through my work. Verizon also fails to mention that if you switch to the unlimited plan you lose any discounts. i'll stay on my old tiered plan and keep my discount.

That would be #11 in the Verizon Unlimited Data Plan faq.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

This isn't new and has nothing to do with the new Unlimited data package.

The new Verizon Plan FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Why do some smartphones have different monthly line access charges on the new Verizon Plan? 

Monthly line access charges for smartphones on the new Verizon Plan differ based on if you received a 2-year contract discount on the phone when you bought it:

• If you purchased the phone at a discounted price and signed a 2-year contract, the monthly line access charge is $40 until the device contract expires
  • All phones not on a 2-year contract (e.g., purchased through device payment, bought at full price, etc.) have a monthly line access charge of $20

The MORE Everything Plan FAQs | Verizon Wireless

What's the monthly access charge on The MORE Everything Plan for a smartphone or basic phone if I sign up for device payments?  

• For smartphones, the monthly access charge is $40.
    • However if you had a promotional access discount, it will show up on your bill as a $40 charge with a $15 credit (data allowance up to 4 GB) or as a $40 charge with a $25 credit (data allowance 6 GB or higher).
  • For basic phones, the monthly access charge is $30.
    • However if you had a promotional access discount, it will show up on your bill as a $30 charge with a $10 credit.

Device Payment FAQs | Verizon Wireless

What are monthly line access charges on the device payment program?  

• The monthly line access charges vary depending on your calling plan.
    • For smartphone lines on the new Verizon Plan or The Verizon Plan with an active device payment agreement, the monthly access charge is $20.
    • For lines on The MORE Everything Plan® with an active device payment agreement:
      • Active smartphone lines on MORE Everything Plans up to 4 GB, your monthly access charge is $25. However, it will show up on your bill as a $40 charge with an offsetting $15 credit.
      • Active smartphone lines on MORE Everything Plans 6 GB and higher have a $15 monthly access charge. However, it will show up on your bill as a $40 charge with an offsetting $25 credit.
      • Active basic phone lines on the MORE Everything Plan have a $20 monthly access charge. However, it will show up on your bill as a $30 charge with an offsetting $10 credit.
0 Likes
Highlighted

[Removed]

How about the fact that:
1) VZW and virtually all US providers BEGAN their plans with the discounts instead of full purchase price - unlike most of the rest of the developed world - knowing they'd make more on the line access fees;
2) When they finally came around to "encouraging" full purchase price in the past few years, the details were buried deep in the fine print, long after having a cell phone had become pretty much essential and knowing not everyone has $300 - $800 free to purchase a new phone.

Not sure why you seem to believe it is the right of business to lie in the "headlines" instead of being upfront with the cost of their services.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Dr_H wrote:

[Removed]

How about the fact that:
1) VZW and virtually all US providers BEGAN their plans with the discounts instead of full purchase price - unlike most of the rest of the developed world - knowing they'd make more on the line access fees;
2) When they finally came around to "encouraging" full purchase price in the past few years, the details were buried deep in the fine print, long after having a cell phone had become pretty much essential and knowing not everyone has $300 - $800 free to purchase a new phone.

Verizon STILL gives a discount for phone purchases, except NOW it is a continuous discount and not just a one time discount. Line access fees used to be $40 and now they drop to $20 on the Verizon Plan for lines out of contract. Over the life of a 2 yr service contract you would have had to sign to get that "discount" off the price of a contract phone, that is a savings of $480 in line access fees. Verizon's discount for the purchase of a new phone on contract used to top out at ~$450 for the most expensive phones and WAS much less for lower priced phones. So in essence, you now get a $480 discount on ALL phones instead of a max of $450 and much less on many of Verizon's phones.

When purchasing, you DO NOT need $300-$800 up front to purchase those phones. Verizon offers a payment plan which when you add the cost of phone payments to a $20 line access fee on MANY phones is STILL less than the $40 line access fee you would have been paying had you purchased a phone on contract.

ADDITIONALLY, for the more expensive phones where you STILL had a payment up front even when purchasing on contract, if you make the SAME up front payment as you would have paid for the "contract" phone your NEW monthly payment of line access fee PLUS your monthly phone payment would STILL be LESS than the $40 line access fee you would have been paying with that contract phone. I can't think of ANY phones this would not be true. Possibly you could point out an example where you would have paid LESS with the old method of "contract" phones vs the new method of monthly phone payments?