Re: New data plan eats up data very quickly!

Thank you for the advice. I have done all that, and have worked with Verizon Tech on it too. Nothing has changed on this end. The two Smart Phones do not utilize the HotSpot, and Phone data usage is not an issue. No new software, all updating has been turned off. Two computers are connected to the Hotspot, my wife's and mine. I do a fair amount of "Web Surfing", but no more than I always have... she does very little. The bulk of the data is used for the Web Surfing... i.e., looking at various web store type web sites... again, no more than usual. Prior to switching to the new plan, a BIG month, even with the updates turned on, was 14 GB... all of a sudden, you can virtually watch the "Fuel" gage (data) go down at the rate of approx 2 GB per day. I will repeat.... my activity level has not change. I have reloaded the operating system, without allowing any updates.... no help. I do NOT have ANY "Cloud" storage enabled. No one else is connected to the Hot Spot. I live in a remote area with no close neighbors. Both computers are disconnected for the Hotspot when we walk away from the screen. Using the Smart Phone for the same searching functions uses very little data. To repeat myself just one more time.......... NOTHING HAS CHANGED in the way are Software, Hardware, or internet utilization. At the rate it is going, I will be out of data again in two weeks, and that will be 28GB of data in a two week period... up until last month, when the change was made, 14 GB would last me all month!

Customer Support

snakebite4767, thank you for your loyalty we want to make sure your data is being calculated correctly. We are here to provide support. If you are running a test, we recommend turning off the Hotspot overnight. It‘s not possible for it to use data if there is nothing connected to it. Also as a side note, data can take 24 to 48 hours to come into our systems.

RalphT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

Well, the data problem went away last month.. even carried over a lot a data... NOW, the first ten days of my new cycle, it has come back with a vengeance...  I've not changed a thing, there are no other devices connected, all updates are turned off, absolutely no movies or any large data block are downloaded... yet it show 32 gb used in 10 days. THAT'S  it... as much as I don't want to, I will close this account after many years of satisfaction with Verizon. There is a problem, and they have NOT fixed it.

0 Likes

I also agree with snakebite that Verizon is cheating their users on the data usage of their devices. 3 days of my G'friend staying at mny house using another service for internet. She goes home, turn on laptop and gets a message that she has used 5 gig ..... try to explain that.   You can't logically,..or legally explain the accelerated data usage that EVERYONE is encountering. You are about to lose millions of contracts such as Wells Fargo ......

futbollr

0 Likes

The first thing that Verizon's tech told me was that the data was being used up by Google Chrome, and he had me remove it and down load and install it again. That didn't make any difference. Last night the tech dept told me that the problem was Norton Security software, and suggested that I remove it. I have. I contacted Norton, and they said that their program did NOT use large amounts of data. It will be a while before I can get another ISP connection, so I had to buy, Yet, more time from Verizon. I've talked to others in the small mountain area that I live in, and everyone up here says that they are having the same problem. Many of them have changed to Unwired Broadband as their ISP. So many in fact, that I have to wait to get on it. It is obvious that my problem is not unique. Verizon needs to address this problem. They have the best network in the business, but my bill is now up to $250/mo and for a retired couple on a fixed income, that is just not acceptable.

0 Likes

Sr. Leader

IMG_4519.JPG

The only one who knows what used all your data is YOU.  The record of data use is on your phone, in settings, under data use.

IMG_4521.JPG

IMG_4518.JPG

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Sr. Leader

Verizon can't tell you what used your data.  That information is only on your phone, in settings, under data usage.

Scroll through the apps listed and see what apps are using the most data.

Verizon Employee

Feeling that you are not using data and being charged for data is never a fun situation, snakebite4767. Have you had a chance to look at the tools for monitoring data? http://vz.to/1VIwoG6

You can go into MyVerizon, MyUsage and look and see where the largest data reporting is. You said that you use the hotspot on your computer when surfing the web. When you pull up various web sites, a history is stored and you will sometimes see what you were just looking at on the side of your computer.

It is not that your web surfing habits have changed, it’s the content that is being displayed that has increased your data usage. There is no more wait time for a page to download, it is instant and most web pages have video feeds. Please take a look at your usage on MyVerizon and let’s see if we can pinpoint this usage so we can keep you within your data limit. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

AllisonC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

What a mess.. I've tried everything you suggested. It shows Video 14%, Audio <1%, Gaming <1%... that is all it shows. I am OUT OF DATA AGAIN! and have not done anything other that email and facebook. I've used 40 gb of data in the past two weeks... doing nothing other than email and facebook!!! Our little community in the mountains has about 200 homes. up until the past few months, most of us were using Verizon Hotspots... everyone has reported on our little internet  bulletin board that they are having the same problem... so many of them have dropped Verizon data service that to when I ran out of data yet again, I tried to get Unwired broadband as my ISP... so many people here in our little valley have signed up with them because of the problem with Verizon, that they have reached their max capacity.. and can not provide me with service!!! I waited too long to drop Verizon... now I don't know what to do. I own this problem, but I AM NOT  CAUSING IT. I'm on a waiting list for the other company to increase their capacity, Then I will stop this madness!

0 Likes

Oh yeah... video 14%... the only video we have ever looked at on our computer comes from the occasional viewing of some 1 min or so video on You tube, and  that is very rare. I looked at the data used on my S7, and it shows virtually little use... I use it at least 75% of the time to view emails and Facebook.

0 Likes