Highlighted

Maps+Navigation using data--what causes this when no maps or nav being used?

Husband and I are on a 2-line shared 4G plan.  We used almost all our data for the first time last month.  I used the detailed usage tool to see why.  His phone showed a huge portion of data used for "Maps and Navigation" when he NEVER uses that service (he's not sure how).  My phone number showed only a small portion of data used for "Maps and Navigation" and I definitely do use maps to navigate when I'm driving, occasionally. 

Is there some app on his phone that is draining our data that Verizon would characterize as being under the umbrella of "Maps and Navigation"? 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Maps+Navigation using data--what causes this when no maps or nav being used?

Sr. Leader

You'd get a better idea of what's using the data by looking at the phone's data usage section.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Maps+Navigation using data--what causes this when no maps or nav being used?

Novice

Any apps that are allowed to verify your location will use data as they update. These can include weather apps, find my phone app, etc.  Check your apps to see if they have permission to obtain your location. You have the choice to turn that feature off.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

settings/battery, will also show what % of use by functions you use.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Hello, emmamom! It is very important to know how your data is being consumed. With most smartphones applications can keep running in the background without one even knowing. We can investigate further. What is the make and model of his device? Does he use any other navigation applications? GeorginaG_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Good thinking, Piscestg. There are many location based apps available these days. With that said, we can gather a few more details to help isolate the issue.

Emmamom, what is the make and model phone that you would like to look into? Where exactly did you confirm the data usage for "Maps and Navigation"?

GinaU_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi. He has an Iphone X.  He uses no navigation apps at all. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi He has an Iphone X.  I checked the data usage on our account and it attributed like 26% of the data usage attributed to his specific phone number as Maps and Navigation.  On the other hand, I DO use maps, and it showed very little usage for that category on my phone.

0 Likes