Highlighted

Is it true that Verizon "blacklists" "difficult" customers?

I have been reading in several blogs, while trying to figure out how to file a poor customer service complaint, that if you grow angry on the phone or even let slip a curse word, Verizon representatives "blacklist" you as a difficult customer and it is impossible to be treated accommodatingly after that. Is this true?

If so, I am simply going to have to leave Verizon. I wanted to get on the Edge plan and after pleading and begging and yelling at the customer service manager on the phone to work with me and figure out some options, finally had to hang up and ended up in tears. I also switched over to Verizon with my old number from Sprint during the promotion in which you were supposed to receive a $150 bill credit per line for that. I have not received that either. I am just trying to get the help I need, but I fear that I will not be helped at all with either problem.

Can anyone confirm this? Would it be more worth my while to leave Verizon than try to get help at this point?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Is it true that Verizon "blacklists" "difficult" customers?

Unless something changed over the years, you don't get blacklisted. However, if you've been verbally abusive toward enough agents, the account can be reported to management and closed, but it take a lot to get to that point. Verbal abuse is documented in accounts, generally speaking, with most company call centers. Also, most call centers do maintain recordings for all calls...not just for your sake as a customer but also in cases where the representative is being reported for inappropriate behavior.  Since all calls are monitored (most business call centers do this), management can pull up all recorded calls to/from the business' call centers. This means, be careful what you say. If someone is verbally abusive toward a rep then files a complaint about how the rep wouldn't help them get what they wanted...doesn't look good in that customer's favor when the monitored calls are reviewed. At the same time, reporting highly unprofessional behavior can also get one fired if there's enough reported incidents that can be confirmed by monitored calls.

Good luck!

Highlighted

Well in that case, I am not too terribly concerned. I was angry and frustrated, but if the call were really recorded and then listened to, it would be very apparent WHO caused the frustration and WAS NOT being helpful.

I don't want to get anyone fired. I just want to get this situation figured out.

0 Likes
Highlighted

The only person who can get someone fired is themselves. Customers may frustrate us (no I don't work for VZW, but work in a call center), but we're expected to maintain a level of professionalism. Sometimes, escalated calls do get handled with frankness. If the customer is asking for something that goes against policy, is acting in a fraudulent manner or expectations for compensation exceed realistic measures and the customer refuses to accept these limits then yes, you'll definitely experience road blocks and frank refusal to honor one's request. Not saying you're one of these examples. Just trying to give a better understanding of what goes on...on the other side in call centers. Regardless of the need to be frank about a matter, there is a professional way to handle things and an unprofessional way.  Again, I'm generally speaking as I do not work for VZW.

Highlighted

Leader

VZW has a section on the top of the account that a rep can put kind of a sticky remark in. If you are verbally abusive to a rep they can then document that and the next time a rep opens it, there it is right above your name. In red. So it would behoove you to be nice to them.

Highlighted

If you switched to Verizon recently, as in l - say, less than a year, for the purpose of discussion, and your phone is lost/stolen/broken, you have the options to file an insurance claim; or buy a replacement either new or used.  Early Edge wouldn't be available due to the nonfunctioning phone, since for the early edge you must turn in a smartphone in good working order to qualify. Then there's the issue of your contract. How can you expect to be allowed to early edge just a short time after you got a discounted phone on contract?

I worked several years in a call center for a residential phone company, and dealt with angry customers all the time. No amount of yelling, begging, name-calling, swearing, or threats can force a rep to do something they CANNOT DO. Asking for a supervisor isn't a guarantee you will get the result you want, and the fact that you are told "no" is not evidence the supervisor is not really a supervisor. If you are concerned about being "blacklisted" (and I don't know if that is common practice for any company including Verizon),  seems like you maybe did get carried away, or you wouldn't be so worried. Kindness and respect are far more successful in getting problems fixed than anger and degradation.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

After the media and customer-reaction to the Sprint fiasco where Sprint "fired" many of its customers over belligerent actions involving customer service, I doubt many companies will resort to this.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I know that CSRs make notes on your account when you call in to provide history and could note demeanour whether positive or negative which may influence your experience on future calls perhaps.  Just a guess but not unreasonable.