Highlighted

Is it possible to set custom data usage alerts?

Peoples,

I recently had a fun time when some malfunctioning program ran thru 10GB over the weekend and blew my data limit away.

I have a Verizon Router for my home internet and typically use around 12GB per month, whereas on that weekend I was using 2 to 3 GB per day.

It would be very helpful to catch this type of issue if I could set an alert to send me an email if I e.g. use more than 1GB in a 24-hour period.

Looking at the data alerts page in MyVerizon it seems what you can do is very limited.

This happened at the start of my plan cycle so the first email i got was when my whole months allowance was almost gone just a few days into the cycle.

Anyone got any ideas on a good way to get notified when a spike in usage occurs?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Is it possible to set custom data usage alerts?

Community Manager
Community Manager

pguiheen,

Being able to keep a handle on your data usage is something that should be accessible to all customers. I know this situatiuon was frustrating but we do want to provide the available options to you. Our data alerts are set to alert you at certain thresholds and as of right now Family base http://vz.to/1WlWcsp would also work this way as well. Do you use a laptop or desktop only to access the internet through the router or do you also use your phone as well?

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

pguiheen,

Being able to keep a handle on your data usage is something that should be accessible to all customers. I know this situatiuon was frustrating but we do want to provide the available options to you. Our data alerts are set to alert you at certain thresholds and as of right now Family base http://vz.to/1WlWcsp would also work this way as well. Do you use a laptop or desktop only to access the internet through the router or do you also use your phone as well?

CandiceH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Candice,

As it's a home router I have a variety of devices which access the internet thru it

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

pguiheen, I understand wanting to be notified regarding the alerts. I would recommend visiting the link that was provided regarding Family Base. I just recently had to add this to a line on my account as the user was going over the data allowance. This way I am alerted and can place a hard stop on the data until the next bill cycle when the data allowance has been reached.

TionnaB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Tionna,

How would you recommend using Family Base for the scenario i described e.g. to be alerted to a 1GB usage in a 24 hour time period?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Being alerted of data usage is very helpful in controlling data overage Paul. While FamilyBase is able to alert when a certain data usage has been reached, it cannot alert you when a certain usage is reached within a certain period of time. You can be alerted when 1GB is used within your entire bill cycle, but alerts cannot be set for usage within 24 hours. However, if you set an alert for 1GB and this happends to be used within 24 hours of the billing cycle, you will be alerted.

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Antonio,

That may be what i need. I read the information for Family Base but did not see what you describe.

So, I could have a 12 GB per month and set up alerts so i would be notified for each 1 GB of usage.

Is that correct?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Pguiheen,

We know its important to keep controls over your data to prevent any overages. Correct, the Family Base application can send alerts when the line has reached a set limit. Click here for a detailed view of how the data limits will be appear http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-80759/ . There is also a link at the top of the data limit instruction page to add Family Base if you would like the feature on your account. 

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW

0 Likes