Highlighted

Is Verizon edge worth doing to get a new phone?

My 2 year contract will be up in February and I'm wondering what my best option is to get a new phone. I was going to just not renew my contract and try to find a new phone elsewhere then add it to my account, then just pay my plan as it is. But it's not easy to find an iphone 6 for a good price. Would my best bet be to let my contract run out then do the Verizon edge and just pay it off in full over time? I hate to go paying full price on a phone, but I hate being locked into the contract that would allow me to get it cheaper.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Is Verizon edge worth doing to get a new phone?

Expert

So you would rather be locked into a 2 year payment plan?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not applicable

depends on what you current plan is. And what phone you want. And being on contract is not necessarily cheaper and even if it is it's not as cheap as you think.

You can buy a phone at full price or used or whatever stay off contract and you can activate your month to month discount and get $15 off your bill if your data plan is less than 10 GB or $25 a month if you plan is 10 GB or more.

Get a phone on Edge. Yes it's full price but you'll get either a $15 or $25 line discount depending on your data plan. So this will be worth $360 or $600 depending your data plan. Also your taxes will be a bit cheaper too because of the discount. So add another $20-$40 in savings there.

Or get a phone on contract. As I said it depends on what phone you're looking at.

Highlighted

Let's see right now I am on a Nationwide talk and text 700 minute plan. I will be taking one line off so I would really only need a single line plan. I'd like to get the iphone 6 if possible. Been staying with a basic phone because I was still on contract.

When my contract is up, might talking to a customer service rep help me more to figure out what I want.

I know I'd like something with good data, decent minutes and unlimited texting. Right now I'm paying around $118 a month for 2 basic phones with 700 minutes, unlimited text and pay as I go data.

I just want to have something that is going to be reliable. I was considering changing providers but that might be a hassle. Pretty picky about change and the fact the price of the phones are so high if you pay in full or go with edge. But I guess there are the discounts for doing Edge, I wasn't really aware of that. Almost wish there was a way to outline what I want, then have them make up an idea of what I'd be paying.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

The single line plans only have so much data. Depending on how much you think you will need, you might have to be on the More Everything Plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Yeah definitely not sure what I plan to do. I was going to just do the Edge plan then I'm thinking that's insane to pay full price for an iphone when if I get on a contract again I can get it much cheaper. Sure I'd be locked in for 2 years, but I think I can tolerate an iphone 6 for 2 years. I'm not about having the latest and greatest as soon as a new update comes out for phones. If I drop down to a single line I'll already be ona  cheaper plan I'd say. Just a matter of waiting another month or so to talk to them to see what I can do that is best for my dollar.

0 Likes