Highlighted

If I purchase a new phone from a third party vendor on an existing line, what are my options for activating it?

This becomes a bit more complicated when the phone is a gift for a person who is out of town.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: If I purchase a new phone from a third party vendor on an existing line what are my options for activating it?

Sr. Leader

Are you an authorized account manager?  If not, you may not be able to do this.  Any changes to the account like that require the billing passcode.  It CAN be done over the phone, or in a store (corporate store, use the locator at the top of the page to find one).

As I said, a gift like this is best done with the full knowledge and consent of the account owner/recipient.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: If I purchase a new phone from a third party vendor on an existing line what are my options for activating it?

Sr. Leader

Be sure the phone is usable on Verizon's network, and that the ESN is clear (meaning it is not a phone that has been reported as lost or stolen, or is not linked to a delinquent account).  The third party should give you the ESN or IMEI # for you to verify the phone - ESN / IMEI / MEID Check (Free) | Swappa

You really can't activate it until the recipient is aware, and is with you - by activating it their current phone will be deactivated, and that would not be a good thing if they are out of town and need their phone.  In most cases, the activation will not complete unless the other phone is powered off anyway - so you may end up with two inactive phones if you try to activate without the other phone being powered off.

I would give the gift and let the recipient activate at a time that is convenient for them....

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks Suzy.

By "third party" I meant another retailer.  I could have been clearer on that.

* Can this be done over the phone or does it have to be done in a Verizon store?

* Is the billing code needed?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Are you an authorized account manager?  If not, you may not be able to do this.  Any changes to the account like that require the billing passcode.  It CAN be done over the phone, or in a store (corporate store, use the locator at the top of the page to find one).

As I said, a gift like this is best done with the full knowledge and consent of the account owner/recipient.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

If you are buying a phone at a store then they will want to activate it for you.

VZW stores do an activate later feature but you must be authorized on the account to purchase equipment. You can't really just walk into a store and buy a phone like you are buying a shirt off the rack.

0 Likes