If I cancel a line with an active device payment agreement, then activate a new line on another account with the same device, will it let me?

Original story short: I have myself and my boyfriend's lines active on his family's share plan. We split the plan cost and pay for our own separate line charges. I opened an account awhile back (May 2015) to get my dad a basic phone, and I realized: why not just move our lines to my account? Please keep in mind my significant other's and mine's lines have active Edge/Device Payment Agreements; my credit rating is good, I have no required down payment and a $4000.00 spending limit on my account that we're trying to move them to.

Starting in June Verizon agreed to AOL lines with device/Edge payment agreements.

I've been trying to AOL those two lines for over three weeks; the error the agents keep getting as they try to process it is that the "Original Device Payment Agreements are not active" on my boyfriend and mine's lines. Which they are; they've been active since 12/2014. Both accounts never have forward balances and are in great standing, we've also never suspended our lines.

The first time the agent gave me a credit application# and told me to call back. The second time they said they created a ticket for their help desk to resolve. The third time they told me a master ticket was in the works, Verizon was aware of the error. The fourth time, a man named Chris on 8/28/2015 told me everything was going through, even gave me an approval number and that I'd receive an email in 5-10 minutes to accept the AOL; never did. Called back this last time on 8/31/2015, today, and the lady told me that Chris gave me an 'credit app number' and noted the account that it didn't go through (as in he blatantly lied to me). She contacted CORe, and then informed me CORe's ultimate decision was that I'd have to just buyout the remaining balances on either line, which comes to over $900.00. Who has $900.00 to blow?

And to make matters worse, on my actual account, since I presumed the AOL wouldn't be a problem anyways, I invited my friend to add a line and we upgraded to the 10GB plan. So now I'm paying for two separate plan portions, etc., for two separate accounts. If I buyout the device payment agreements that's $900.00+ out of my pocket I don't have; and if I wait another 15 months worth of device payments and then AOL, I'll be out of pocket around $600.00 because Verizon lied to me and can't get their crap together. If I had known with the ORIGINAL agents who'd assisted me that it would've come to this, I would've never changed to the 10GB plan on my account, wouldn't have had my friend add a line - and it's beyond the 14 day return period for her - and I'll be out of pocket about $40.00 extra a month because of this.

Now onto the only other solution I can think of: if I cancel the two lines (my boyfriend and mine's on his family's account), I am aware the monthly device payments would continue, yes. But I know those device payment agreements are associated with our Device IDs. Am I able to cancel those two lines, then activate the phones on my account, and use them? Or will it not let me because the device ID's are associated with the bf's family account's agreements?

I would expect if I can that Verizon would be courteous enough to waive the $80.00's in activation fees I'd be experiencing, but I know that'd be too much to hope for. I'm sick of being lied too, so if someone knows the actual answer (and is NOT JUST GUESSING) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lindsey

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: If I cancel a line with an active device payment agreement, then activate a new line on another account with the same device, will it let me?

Sr. Leader

If you cancel that line, you must pay off that phone immediately.  Then, you might be able to take it with you to a new line.  Otherwise, the phone will be blacklisted and useless.

Highlighted

Re: If I cancel a line with an active device payment agreement, then activate a new line on another account with the same device, will it let me?

Leader

My understanding, from my first hand experience, is that if you had your Edge agreements before May 31st you can't assume liability of the lines, meaning they can't be moved. UNLESS you want to pay off the balance of the Edge agreement. For whatever reason Edge agreements opened after May 31st supposedly can be AOL'd.

Highlighted

If you've had a Device Payment Agreement active for at least 3 months and there are other lines remaining active on the account, you are not billed the full buyout. You instead continue to make the monthly device payments monthly with no access fee.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Carrying any extra cost than necessary isn't ever a good thing, FigurativelySpeaking. Let's work together to figure out how to untangle this mess. We do allow AOL to happen with Device Payments, as long as the Device Payment Plans are in current and active status, and the account is eligible for Device Payments on their own. When cancelling a line with a Device Payment Plan, the only reason the full amount would become due is if there were no remaining lines on the old account. How many lines are on the account where your lines are currently? How long ago did you attempt to complete the AOL?

LynnD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Covid19